The Day That Things Changed | Teen Ink

The Day That Things Changed

November 23, 2010
By Anonymous

I still remember the date. August 14, 2009. I could feel a hot tear trembling down my cheek. I would never think about simple things the same way.

August 14, 2009. I just got back from my neighbors house where I was watching their pesky, yet too cute for words children. Smiling my crooked, toothy, wide smile I walked into my split level house with a wad of cash in my hand. Grinning ear to ear, I saw my mom and dad listening to the same message on our ancient answering machine over and over.
I could see that by the terrified look on my father’s wrinkling façade that I really shouldn’t be smiling right now. I listened along to the fuzzy message with them, but I could barely make out any of the words being said at all. But from what I could hear, I knew that it was my Aunt Sue crying so hard that she couldn’t speak.
My mom and dad left me at home with my brother while they picked my depressed aunt from the hospital where earlier that day she got a cat scan. They all walked through the door about a half an hour later, although it seemed like years, and my aunt looked so strange. Her face beat read with sadness, her hands filled with wet tissues. Her eyes were puffy and red with discomfort.

“We have to tell the kids sometime…” My mom regretfully whispered. They all shifted around in their chairs uncomfortably, avoiding talking about whatever it was that they couldn’t tell my brother Matt and I.


“Molly,” My aunt choked on her poisonous words as tears were pouring down her hot cheeks, “I’ve just been diagnosed with terminal breast cancer. It spread to my liver, the doctor told me I only have a 40% change to live another year.”

All I can remember was that I was terribly confused. I couldn’t understand the extreme severity of this harsh fact. My mouth dropped slightly as I questioned and wondered, my lips trembling in shock. I could feel one hot tear falling from my cheek and drip onto my left hand. “I love you.” I sadly and bitter sweetly weeped as the hot tears now poured down my saddened face.

I was never the same. I take things more seriously with her. We eat dinner together every Sunday and Monday to get in as much time with her as the gods of fate will allow. Although she beat the first odds the doctor gave us, there still seems to be no hope. My life has forever changed.