Dream On | Teen Ink

Dream On

November 23, 2010
By Anonymous

I can remember hearing arguing, and a lot of it. It was echoing in my head, and it was driving me nuts. Then I heard sirens from a distance getting closer and closer, and then they were in front of my house. The police were knocking on my door, in a deep voice I hear “police open up!” I hadn’t realized what I had done.
When I was eight I had just moved into my own room down in the basement. This was a big deal because I no longer had to share with my sister; I had a whole room to myself! I felt like a big kid. I don’t think I have ever been so excited. My mom and dad use to send me to my room and they would check on me till I fell asleep, now they didn’t want to make the trip down stairs. I determined my own bed time, and no one would even know.
Before I moved into my own bedroom I felt like I was watched like a hawk, my parents would tuck me in my Mickey Mouse bed and make sure I fell asleep at a decent hour. They wouldn’t let me watch scary movies because I took them too seriously and always had really bad dreams. My dad would always tell me “it’s just a movie.” So I decided to stay up late and watch a scary movie two things I definitely couldn’t do before. That idea never came to mind again.
That night I had a dream that two women broke into my house, and all I heard was yelling and screaming, and it was piercing my ears like nails going down a chalk board. I yelled “Stop it, don’t fight!” but nothing stopped the ungodly sounds. Finally I had had enough, and before I knew it I was on the phone with the police, I specifically remember them asking “Can you get to your parents?”I whispered “They will hurt me if I try to run, I have to stay quiet.”
Ten minutes later “wee woo wee woo.” The police had opened my garage and were in my house. My parents came bursting out of their room “What is going on in here?!” I didn’t know what I had done, if you’d ask me I couldn’t even remember dialing 911. They searched my house and asked me questions. I felt like I was playing a never ending game of 20 questions. They said there was no one in the house but advised my parents to keep an eye on me for the next few days. They listened because they kept an eye on me for more like a few months, and my room was moved back upstairs with my sister. Still to this day they make fun of me for doing that. If you ask me it’s still a little sketchy.