Teenage Fairytale | Teen Ink

Teenage Fairytale

November 19, 2010
By nburenheide BRONZE, Olpe, Kansas
nburenheide BRONZE, Olpe, Kansas
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
~There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.~Every man is afraid of something. That's how you know he's in love with you; when he is afraid of losing you


Growing up as a little girl you always dream about that perfect fairytale, being a princess, meeting your prince and living happily ever after, the end. For me it was different. My dad is in the military and I always wanted to be the best soldier my daddy could brag about. I wanted the coolest camouflage clothes and to go to drill with my dad having everyone think I was just as big and bad as them. As I grew older those thoughts and feelings started to change. The boys became cuter, I wanted to be noticed, and shopping was now a priority not an option. The whole ‘boys’ subject, I have come to find, is a real dramatic and complicating story rather than the fairytale all girls dream it is. I thought I had found my prince charming many times before he came along, though my book could still change pages in this chapter. As a young girl you never really have the mind set of “is he marriage material” when you’re walking through the halls as a 7th grader, at that time it’s called ‘puppy love’ and a cute crush that starts your dating process. But then as you get older, you really start to take things into consideration when you first get that one serious boyfriend you think you’re ‘in love’ with. Mine all started through facebook. One evening after school I was sitting online extremely bored and not wanting to go to bed at all. I was in my sophomore year of high school and there was a senior boy who wasn’t all that popular but his name was the one that caught my eye, for some reason, as the one I should strike up a conversation with. So I did, and the conversation was silly but went smoothly, just making small talk; until he had to get offline and he gave me his number to text him sometime. Later on that night as I was lying in bed thinking about that strange conversation I just had, I decided to do as he said and I texted him. Little did I know that that one conversation I had started on facebook that night would be the conversation that would change my life. We started talking everyday without any exceptions. We would meet up after school in the park with a couple of our friends for a few minutes or he would call me for the lamest reasons one could think of. At the beginning, I thought this guy was a real weirdo who thought he was cool, and he really wasn’t. Two months later he asks me to be his girlfriend and I tried to let him down easy but he just wasn’t getting the picture. I ended up giving in and we started ‘dating’. I just couldn’t stand him though, he texted me sweet things all the time, told me stuff every girl would love to hear, and always acted way too nice. I thought he was too good to be true and I broke up with him a week later. Over the next month after that he remained texting me every day and we came to find that we had more in common than I realized, and he really was cool not just acting it. We started dating again and have been ever since, for the most part, but every relationship has its moments. I have come to consideration with the fact that people aren’t always how they seem to be, so give them a chance and get to know them because sometimes that one person could be the one that changes your life. We have been dating/talking for over a year now and he makes me happy, makes me smile, and he’s the one (at the moment) that I couldn’t live without. My dream as a little girl to be in the military didn’t completely fade. Sometimes your dreams carry out over the years and make an appearance in the slightest ways that turn into your future. My boyfriend is in the United States Air Force and is currently at basic training. The military life is one that I have grown up in, am accustomed to, and the one I love. Paths in life may take a different direction, but sometimes you might be able to see parts of your old path in the new. Never give up on your childhood fairytale, and keep dreaming because you never know when they could come true. For my Dad is in the U.S. Army and my boyfriend in a U.S. Airman and I am a teenage girl who is a proud daughter, girlfriend, and dreamer who never gives up on the past because it is what makes your future.


The author's comments:
I wrote this in thought of my boyfriend and how we got to where we are today. We have had our hardships just like every other relationship but he is my life and I love him very much.