Meet Me | Teen Ink

Meet Me

November 18, 2010
By Anonymous

Margret Mead once said, "Man's most human characteristic is not his ability to learn, which he shares with many other species, but his ability to teach and store what others have developed and taught him." During my experience in high school I have learned so much. One thing I discovered in the end it is not about just learning. It is about taking what I have learned, using it, and giving it to others. Being the baby of the family, I am the last to enter college. I have been fortunate enough to see my sister and two cousins go to college. With their help, I am learning from their mistakes on how to handle college. Although my parents never went to college, I know it would make them proud to see me graduate. What drives me the most is the idea that I would make a name for myself in this world. This motivates me beyond limits to succeed. All my life my mother has put me through catholic school, giving me the best. Now its my turn to show her what I have learned and put it to use. College, for me, is not just a requirement, it is what I have chosen for myself and is my foundation as I enter the world to become a successful in the future.

When I look at myself 10 years from now, I picture myself being an independent working woman who has a family and loves what I do. With the right college, I can achieve this dream and turn it into reality. My goal is to aim high, to strive for the very best. A solid work ethic is something I need to posses entering college. I always find myself thinking that this moment in my life has arrived and it will make or break me.

My mother has been my inspiration from the start. She has taught me through her own actions that one needs to be strong and look out for themself. My cousin and grandmother, who I have lost to cancer, have shown me that in life I may think a term paper is the end of the world but in reality others have it worse. They have shown me to appreciate life, not to take anything for granted and most important NEVER give up no matter what. Through these experiences I have grown into the person I am today.

My reality just set in and it is time for me to prepare for college. Now I become a freshman all over again, where I must work from nothing and rise above becoming something greater than I even imagined. I want to go to college, I want to take on the challenge of hard work and study if it means I will be at the top of my game. I will not be another statistic in society, I will graduate college. I believe I have a lot of courage and conviction and a strong sense of self. With this, I will be able to thrive after an education from your university.