This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By Andy51196 BRONZE, Manhasset, New York
Andy51196 BRONZE, Manhasset, New York

"It ain't over till its over."- Yogi Berra

I believe that words can hurt. Those three words fit into the lives of American children, teens and even adults on a daily basis. People these days verbally abuse others and make them feel terrible inside whether it be about ethnicity, physical appearance, religion or smartness. Over the years, bullying has increased even more with all the inventions of social networking and texting. More kids are getting hurt, more fights start, more trips to the principal’s office, and more detention slips are being handed out.

“If you can’t say something good, don’t say anything at all.” This common phrase is said by most parents to prevent verbal abuse and bullying. If we had a way to stop verbal abuse, would you do something about it? I know I would try to. Recent statistics show that thirty percent of American students from grades 6-10 are involved in frequent or moderate bullying as both victims and bullies. Also, recent stats show that every seven minutes a child is bullied and that eight percent of students miss one day of school per month for the fear of bullies at their school.

Everyone has problems or challenges to overcome, whether it is a bully at school or verbal abuse from others. I know that I have met people who feel like it is acceptable to use cruel words towards others. When I was in the sixth grade, a bunch of kids came up to me and started making fun of my race and of my last name. I was horrified by these comments and I had no one else to turn to besides my parents. Before I turned to my parents about the issue, I thought to myself “I’m a big kid; I can handle these situations on my own.” I tried to confront those kids and tell them to back off. They didn’t care because I was smaller than them. Then I turned to the principal and I told him something must be done about this. Fortunately, he listened and they got in trouble, and they never messed with me ever again. I felt confident in myself from then on, and when my friends were caught in a jam like I was, I would help them out, give them advice, and now I am trying to take a stand. If there was a way to prevent bullying, I would try to stop it immediately.

Verbal abuse is a thing I can’t take. It occurs way too much in schools across America, and it has been increasing. It isn’t only happening to children and teens at school, but to adults at the office as well. A poll of teen’s ages 12-17 proved that they think bullying has increased in their school. With all the new inventions of Facebook and Twitter, teens and adults may have a bigger chance of facing embarrassment and bullying, both physically and verbally. “Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up.” This quote by Jesse Jackson states that you should bring kindness to the world. Don’t look down on anyone, and try to help people out. If people can help each other out, this world would be full of peace and kindness, not abuse, bullying or hatred.

What inspired me to write this piece was all of the bullying and verbal abuse I hear and see at my lunch table and in the hallways.

on Nov. 18 2010 at 8:57 am
Andy51196 BRONZE, Manhasset, New York

I hope that everyone will enjoy and learn something from my essay.-Andy5110