My Dad | Teen Ink

My Dad

By bandgeek1996 BRONZE, Cushing, Oklahoma
bandgeek1996 BRONZE, Cushing, Oklahoma

If the music is too loud, you're too old.

My dad was the most amazing person that I ever knew. He had dark brown, curly hair, wide, green eyes, and he was not much taller than me. He was always there for me. He taught me how to fish, ride a bike, swim, and cook on the grill. He'd take care of me when my mom had to work nights. We would watch The Three Stooges, play board games, and eat whatever we wanted for supper. He was my best friend.
Later on, he developed a lot of health issues. He had high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, type two diabetes, and a lot more. My mom and he separated last year on top of all that. He was still the same old dad that I always knew though.
On May 7, 2010, my life crumbled into a million pieces. My mom left her job early to check on my dad since we hadn't heard from him in a couple of days. My mom's best friend was with me when I got the call. My mom found my dad laying by the front door of his apartment. No sooner did I get over there, the paramedic came out and told us the horrid news. My dad had died of a heart attack.
I'm still devastated, but I know my dad shaped me into the person that I am today. I never knew that death could make a person stronger. I love my dad, and I'll miss him until I see him again.

It's hard to lose a parent, especially if you're only 13 like I am. I wrote this because I took my dad for granted, like most teens do. I was mad at him, and I never got to say that I was sorry. I never told him how much he meant to me.

Kaitbryn PLATINUM, Cushing, Oklahoma

In economics, hope and faith coexist with great scientific pretension and also a deep desire for respectability. -- John Kenneth Galbraith

Very soon we must all face the decision between what is easy and what is right. -- Albus Dumbledore

KAYLA!!!!!!!! I love you lots!!