My Grandpa | Teen Ink

My Grandpa

By AshAsh8484 GOLD, Centerville, Iowa
AshAsh8484 GOLD, Centerville, Iowa

My grandpa is one of my favorite people in my family one of the reasons why is he could be on his deathbed and still crake jokes to make everyone feel better. He's always been the funny person in our family. One of the reasons why is when he was a senior in high school he told a dirty joke in front of the whole school he got kicked out for that. He also never missed a day of school from kindergartner to 12th grade. The only thing I remember him saying is he'll call you darling even if you’re a boy.

When people first see him they would see a guy with a stocky build in an electric wheel chair. He also has black short hair that is always brushed. On his right arm there is a tattoo of a panther jumping up at you. He has a deep voice now since he had a tube down his throat, but it still sounds soft.

My grandpa is strong to me because last year he had to go to the ICU because his heart was failing. So my family and I drove to North Carolina to say our good byes when we got there you couldn’t go in with out scrubs on. A couple days later he was feeling better. So I went to go see him with my dad when we got there he was awake so my grandpa, my dad, and I talked till he had to suck some of the fluid out of his system. In order to do that he had to take his mask off and suck it out. He needed help putting it back on so I tried to help him then he started to shake. So I thought that he needed air then I tried to hurry up. Turns out it was a joke.

One thing that makes him my favorite, and will always remember him by is he used to give rides on his electric wheel chair. One of the nurses at the nursing home thought that my cousin was my grandma.

On Aug. 17,2010, my grandpa took he’s last and finally breath, and died while holding my aunt’s hand. I will always remember our last time together, before I had to leave for Iowa. We looked in each other’s eyes then held on to each other knowing this will be the last time we would see each other ever. As my uncle and me left and got to where I was staying I went to my cousin’s room and started packing.

To this day I still cry when I hear amazing grace, or see pictures of him. Then I think of how long he has been fighting for his life. I will always miss and love him.

I wrote this for my grandpa but he never got to read this.