"This I Believe" | Teen Ink

"This I Believe"

It seems to me that Christmas changed. To begin, the presents mean the world to kids. When you say Christmas, they will think about Santa delivering them gifts. I thought Christmas was about Jesus and his birth. Sorry but I doubt that discussing religion and church will excite kids more than presents and sweets.

Moving on to Santa, his real name is St. Nicholas. And he wasn’t some obese man in a red furry outfit bringing toys to every child in the world. He was a generous man that gave unconditionally. Don’t get me wrong I like the idea we have created over time, but don’t you think we have gone a little overboard? To me it seems like we are slowly drifting taking more and more advantage of Christmas and Santa Claus: Using it as a threat or giving bribes. For instance, “If you don’t eat your pees I’m going to call Santa and he will bring you some dark jagged coal.” It could just be me, but I think most children are missing the point.

Even the movies have changed! Now all you see in the Christmas movies are rain deer. All they wonder is if the Santa Spirit is high or not. Who believes and who doesn’t? And the truth may be hard to swallow but sorry that’s life. Your parents are really the ones stuffing your stockings full of goodies. And about the movies, Polar Express for instance doesn’t mention Jesus once. It is all about how there is not enough Christmas spirit. Don’t get me wrong I love the movie. I just don’t believe Christmas is all about Santa. Overall, Christmas has changed, and I don’t like it.

As kids my mom and dad both went to Lutheran Church's. Growing up they were forced to go to Church every Sunday. So they know all about Jesus and why we are supposed to celebrate Christmas. But now my sisters only take part in church on Easter and Christmas Eve. So, neither ever pray nor do they know how. And during present time every Christmas they don’t give god or Jesus a thought.

So when they are tearing the wrapping paper and eating cookies they hardly even ponder about the reason behind it. For instance, if my little sister was asked why we celebrate Christmas, she would reply for Santa and toys. I don’t know how it is for the rest of you and your families that celebrate Christmas. But around my family, the newer generation seems to be clueless for the most part. All I am saying is I hope Christmas doesn’t completely change for my family, and maybe yours tooIt seems to me that Christmas changed. To begin, the presents mean the world to kids. When you say Christmas, they will think about Santa delivering them gifts. I thought Christmas was about Jesus and his birth. Sorry but I doubt that discussing religion and church will excite kids more than presents and sweets.

So when they are tearing the wrapping paper and eating cookies they hardly even ponder about the reason behind it. For instance, if my little sister was asked why we celebrate Christmas, she would reply for Santa and toys. I don’t know how it is for the rest of you and your families that celebrate Christmas. But around my family, the newer generation seems to be clueless for the most part. All I am saying is I hope Christmas doesn’t completely change for my family, and maybe yours too.

I Just wanted to see if anybody else thought or felt this way too.