My Best Friend | Teen Ink

My Best Friend

October 25, 2010
By Devlishangel BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Devlishangel BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I have a best friend. He is always there for me even though most of the time he doesn’t understand anything I say. What he does know is when I'm happy, sad, or when I'm lonely. And I know when he just needs some cuddles. His name is Bogey and he’s my golden retriever. We have some kind of chemical relationship that hasn’t been broken. Yet he knows everything about me, I talk to him about everything. We have a special connection from the heart, Since I was six and I named him, and since he was a little puppy.

When I come home from school, Bogey jumps up on me and presses his head against my chest, letting me know that he missed me and he is so happy that I am home. In return, I give him a nice belly rub. Then the rest of the night, we inseparable. You can’t peel him away from me.

One day, we left him at our house outside overnight, and when we got home, I could tell he was mad at me. At first, I didn’t really understand why, but after a while, i realized that it was because he felt abandoned. He needed us and we let him down. I regained his trust by giving him some meaty bones, his absolute favorite. I slept with him on the floor that night because he isn’t allowed on my bed. He enjoyed the company, and when I woke up, he was right where I left him, and so my dad made eggs and I snuck him a few. He loved that.

Ever since then, he has been extremely needy like we are going to abandon him or something. Oh yeah, and he is an awesome guard dog... NOT. If a robber happened to come to our house, Bogey would run to him and say, “Hey, take anything you want! Can I have a treat? How about a nice belly rub to go with that?” Although, when the pizza guy comes to our door Bogey barks because he thinks that he is stealing our food but, as long as our food is safe, he can steal our TVs. He obviously has no concept between good and bad people.

Considering that I have had him since I was 6, he is really special to me. He is my dog and you can tell by looking at how he acts around me.Beside the fact that he is a grown dog, he is such a big baby. But that is why I love him. Apart from everything, he is my dog and I love him and always will be no matter what. I never want to let him go.