This I Believe... | Teen Ink

This I Believe...

By CaptainArnoldChang BRONZE, Denver, Colorado
CaptainArnoldChang BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

"They've done studies you know? It works 60% of the time, every time." - Brian Fontana

This I believe... Every time something doesn’t go the way you wish it would, or if your angry at someone, try and laugh it off. Gain perspective of the situation, and take the lesson hidden within, with a grain of salt.

Life is a long winding road full of highs and lows, dips, and dead ends. There are so many twists and turns behind you, and there are many more to come. Don’t dwell on every pothole you hit or every dead skunk that you run over. If you make a big deal over every single thing that goes wrong, then you are bound to fly off the road.

Take myself for example. My best friend was killed a mere four years ago. Maybe he was mixed up with the wrong crowd, maybe he wore the wrong color too much, or maybe he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I felt so awful about the whole ordeal, that I thought I would never overcome my sorrow. But you know what? I did. Aside of a little heart ache, I’m a stronger person for it.

When things try to get you down, it’s okay to feel bad for a while. But if you keep fighting, and don’t give up even though the odds are stacked against you. That is what builds character, and that is what makes you who you are. Like when my parents were going through a divorce, or “separation.” I was heart broken that my parents, my own parents were not going to be together. It was heartbreaking. I had to say bye-bye to the one, big happy family... Now it was one happy family divided by two. I acted as if it didn’t phase me but deep down, I was hurting badly. I don’t exactly remember when I realized it, but luckily I did... I realized that God was testing my patience, my ability to cope with the crisis at hand. After a couple weeks, I began learning to deal with my sadness and I had almost completely forgot about the separation. I was happy again, I was finally looking at the glass as half full, and I started living life again.

Above all, when something goes wrong, deal with it in a healthy way, by dealing with your problems positively. Talk to a therapist, talk someone you can trust, either way, you’re not bottling your emotions up. Try and forget about it. Try and think of... the road ahead.

I wrote this for my writing class and I hope that it can he