Letting Go.... | Teen Ink

Letting Go....

October 25, 2010
By thekeeper BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
thekeeper BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“ How are you?” my grandpa asked, reaching for my hand.


“I'm doing good, grandpa. How are you?”

“I'm doing okay. Getting around here and there.” he chuckled.

I watched my grandpa eat mangoes, one by one. I observed him like a sponge. I saw the lines crevesting between his eyes and dark bags deep as ever. His hunched back, slowly seeing each bumps of his spine and slow movement, broke my heart. I thought “does he have arthritis?” For the first time, he looked old and broken, but yet he was strong as a bull. As he stood up, I heard a loud crack. I dashed over over to him.
“Are you okay?” I questioned frantically.
“I'm fine, child.” he said, “ Don’t worry about me. I'm old. I'm going to die soon. it’s okay.”
I gave a weak smile, as a tear ran down my cheek. It trickled down, as I stood there laughing. I wiped away the tear as fast as I can before my grandpa saw’ll me.
“Do you want anything to eat?” he asked, heading towards the fridge.
“No, I'm good. thank you.”
As I watched him eat, he yelled, “Child! are you out of your mind? Don’t stare with your mouth open!” he chuckled. “ You’re going to look like Buddha!” he laughed at his own joke.

I gave a weak laugh.

My grandpa's humor will always be remembered. The way he talks, makes everyone feels warm. Besides the daze I was in, I was woken up by my mom, when I heard her voice shredding through my daze.
“Come on, Julie. Say goodbye to grandpa.” mom exclaimed.
“ Bye, grandpa.” I said, as I went over to hug him.



I walked out the door and left.


That was the last time I saw him.



2 MONTHS LATER

I found that my grandpa passed away. He died of heart failure. Thinking back , I can almost hear the engine of the motor go into a straight line and the sniffing of my aunt crying. The final words my grandpa said were “take care”. I hope to follow in his footsteps and live to be old as 87. I'm letting go .......