Homesick | Teen Ink

Homesick

By Katie Whaley BRONZE, Orange, California
Katie Whaley BRONZE, Orange, California

As Jason watched his family get into their car to head home, he began to wonder if he had made the right decision about moving out of the house and into a dorm at Concordia University. He knew that things would never be the same because he would not be living at home with his parents and his sister. Jason’s heart began to sink as he watched the car disappear into the distance until he could no longer see the loved ones that he cared about so much. He returned to his dorm and sat alone because he wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do with himself. The quiet rain began to fall and Jason longed for his big house where he had been so comfortable for 19 years of his life. The day continued to drag on and the hope of finding friends in this new and uncomfortable home slowly diminished, as Jason felt left out of almost every conversation that was going on at the time. The slight rain turned into a pouring rain and Jason’s mood grew more depressed and he thought that this feeling was never going to go away. The dreary weather only made Jason’s mood worse, but he hoped that after school started everything would get much better because he would finally find some friends. The longing feeling would never leave, but eventually we all have to accept our responsibilities and do our best to grow into the people that we are meant to be in our lives.

This assignment was to write about an emotion and an experience that goes along with it without directly saying the emotion in the story. Please give me any feedback you would think could be helpful for me in the future. Thank you!