Change | Teen Ink

Change

By yourewrite SILVER, Warren, New Jersey
yourewrite SILVER, Warren, New Jersey

Everyone wants to ride with you in the limo, but what you need is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.
-Oprah Winfrey

Every person must go through a journey in their lives. In fact, most people complete several journeys in their lives. My most recent journey has been one that I am still in the process of completing. High school has been a whirlwind of journeys, but perhaps the biggest challenge I have faced is adjusting to change. So much has changed for me in the last year and a half. My sister left for college, leaving me an only child for several months a year, I took a break from playing the piano then recently went back, and I received my first grades below an A- a hard change to accept.

I have always heard that change is difficult, but this idea has always been a thought that I simply accepted without finding my own perspective on. Now I can firmly agree that yes, change is extremely difficult, but it can also be a blessing in disguise (an exceptional disguise, almost unrecognizable). A child does not learn to walk without falling down numerous times. I feel as though I have not yet learned to “walk” in every aspect of my life, because I am still falling and learning from my mistakes.

The past year has tested me, because it seemed as if every change I could possibly encounter was hitting me at once, and at full speed no less. I was struggling in my schoolwork, “stressed out” became my new mantra, and I started to feel that I might never be able to adapt to all these changes. I began watching inspirational movies on a constant loop, highlighting key areas where the main character turned disaster into success then went on to become captain or president of something. I wanted to make those movies come to life, but I had no background in cheerleading or student politics. I was stuck.

After months of trying my hardest to adapt and push my life into an imaginary place called “Normal”, I found encouragement from an unlikely source- a Nike ad. “Just do it.” Three simple words that hold the key to the doorknob of success. Instead of agonizing over what I couldn’t do or what the future held or making plans to plan for other plans, I decided to pare down the thoughts racing through my mind at one in the morning and, to put it simply, “just do it.” I began to embrace change as an ordinary part of life, not a scary game of chances. Now my mantra rotates from “It’ll be fine” to “That sounds fun” and “I’m not going to worry about it.” I would be lying if I said that I have become a stress-free person who embraces everyday with a smile and a song. That’s really not realistic, as much as I would love to believe that that person exists somewhere in this world. But I have become significantly more easygoing and I have learned to practice embracing change. This journey will most likely never be over, because change will always happen. But now I know how to face it, and that in itself is an amazing accomplishment.