Good Luck | Teen Ink

Good Luck

By La_Li BRONZE, Happy Valley, Other
La_Li BRONZE, Happy Valley, Other

Good luck. 2 small, and simple words that are commonly said by the thousands of students who are undertaking their HSC examinations. They are exchanged in a brief hug, or a close group of friends psyching themselves up for “the big one”. But what does it really mean? Does the phrase “good luck” actually have any luck with it? Or do we just think it does because it comes from the heart?

Maybe it does. Maybe it doesn’t. I think secretly, we hope it does, because it gives us that extra bit of confidence, which we all need when we walk into that exam room. Past HSCers know exactly what I’m talking about. But for all those out there who are watching this all from the outside, I have one thing to say. And that is; be prepared. Yr 12 is going to be the best, and the worst year of your high school life. You will make so many close friends, yet you will lose so many hours of precious sleep. Aside from your bed, coffee, red-bull, and sugar will be your best friends, whilst alarms, due-dates, and exams become your worst nightmare.

I won’t lie to you. The HSC is no easy feat. Throughout this year, I have made mistakes, but learnt from them. I’ve also cried numerous times, broken down, fallen asleep, and even hyperventilated because of stress. But if there is one thing I have learnt from this year, it’s to keep as clear of a head as you possibly can. And as you will find out, there are so many ways to do this. For me, taking time out, and music helped. I could just plug myself into my iPod, and find a song that I could relate to. It helped keep the stress down. Oh, and my friends. That’s probably one of the most important pieces of advice I can give you. Always have a close friend at hand. And make sure that if work is due, you hand it in EXACTLY when it is due. Because in year 12, there are no “late hand-ins”. It’s an automatic FAIL. I’m not trying to scare you. But I promise you, one day, very soon, your teachers, and your parents, and anyone who has been through year 12 will tell you exactly the same thing.

So what is the conclusion to all of my ramblings? This:

It’s going to be tough. But you can always lean on your friends, and your family.

A due date is a due date for a reason. A moment later, and it will cost you dearly.

Coffee, red-bull, and sugar, whilst unhealthy, will always give you that extra UMPH after a night of 2 hours sleep.

Don’t hate your alarm clock. Because after the 10th November, there will come a time when you can turn it off, and keep it off.

Time out used to be for naughty kids. Now it’s a way to keep your stress down.

And last, but not least, always remember. That even though you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, doesn’t mean it isn’t there. This is the best and worst year of high school. Enjoy it. Oh, and good luck. You will need it.

My highschool experience - this is dedicated to mainly HSC students, but also to any student about to do their final year of highschool.