If I Knew Them | Teen Ink

If I Knew Them

October 7, 2010
By TheEdgar PLATINUM, Fayetteville, North Carolina
TheEdgar PLATINUM, Fayetteville, North Carolina
22 articles 1 photo 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you are in need of forgetting something, make a note to remember it."


My great grandfather and grandmother were buried together. One on top of the other. I didnt know them well enough to have the right to say "I Knew Them". When in truth I didn't. But i did know what they were like. They were happy, unaware of their conditions and hardships that they were going through.
My grandmother was headstrong. My mother told me how they used to ride bikes together, even in her old age. As they rode she fell off her bike, quickly jumping up she said, "No one saw that." I laughed.
My grandfather was carefree. on those few times that I could see him, he would play the ukilale as I danced around the small room.
In Hawaii, "hula" was a cultural dance. It told stories as they would dance in the fire lit night.
I never saw them together though, or should i say if i did i was too young to remember. But i know they would hold hands, dance, and laugh together.
"I didnt know them, but at least i knew them."


The author's comments:
My grandfather died of turburculosis a year or two ago. And I wanted to write this small story in the memory of him and my great grandmother. Even though I didnt know them, I still love them both.