The Drug of Words

I am engulfed.
A feeling all too familiar yet completely unknown swallows me whole.
The longing for the comfort of the soft pages deeply effects my life.
I miss the blanket of intrigue that was so carefully draped around me, instead I am smothered by a quilt of pain and such a deep feeling of melancholy it makes me squirm with claustrophobia under this duvet of what seems an empty and unexciting life.

This feeling, though completely inexplicable is one of a cycle that I seem to have entered many years ago not knowing that it would eventually and irrevocably destroy every bit of the humanity I was allotted, which wasn’t much to begin with.

This lack of sense inside me grows every time I attempt to shrink it with more and more of this drug until I eventually desensitize myself to all manner of human plights.

But in an attempt to repair my soul and piece back together the shattered pieces of my heart I jump, and am swept up in another spin in this vicious cycle that I’m locked in.

A book. A new book, a new wonderland and once again I give into the craving for the tangible and intangible parts of the lust and lure of the beautiful words.

Once again I am engulfed.
Wrapped in a blanket of intrigue, but a sense of dread overcomes me, for I know that when I arrive at the end of this book I will be greeted with the quilt of longing that will suffocate me once more. Breaking my already unrecognizable soul into smaller pieces still.

welcometohouston said...
I did like this. A lot. But i feel like you use large words as fillers, too many. plights? something different please. melancholy and claustrophobia shouldnt be in the same sentence, its too much for one feeling. otherwise, extremely impressive.

Katflink replied...
I see what you are saying, but when i use the "large" words it is not because i am looking for a large word it is simply because i am looking for a word that will have the correct effect when read. Now i agree this is probably not my best work but not my worst it was at best very.........um well i am searching for a word that is not large but this where i run into problems so i will go back to my comfort zone of extensive vocabulary and just say mediocre haha even though now that i taste th... (more »)

Katflink replied...
oh and what did you mean by fillers because i think i understand but the meaning on that is a little foggy in my mind

Katflink replied...
okay last comment i promise. you sound very talented and i would like to read some of your work so please leave a link or something thanks!

Katflink replied...
um im liar and annoying i realize it but i cant stop myself. what would you propose as a substitute for plights, because i feel as though that is a very commonly used word and fits in to that line/stanza very well (oh look at me i just resisted the urge to use a different word haha, maybe im making progress : ) and so i forgot what i was going to say so ya...)