The Drug of Words | Teen Ink

The Drug of Words

September 26, 2010
By Katflink BRONZE, Richardson, Texas
Katflink BRONZE, Richardson, Texas
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Hebrews 13:5


I am engulfed.
A feeling all too familiar yet completely unknown swallows me whole.
The longing for the comfort of the soft pages deeply effects my life.
I miss the blanket of intrigue that was so carefully draped around me, instead I am smothered by a quilt of pain and such a deep feeling of melancholy it makes me squirm with claustrophobia under this duvet of what seems an empty and unexciting life.

This feeling, though completely inexplicable is one of a cycle that I seem to have entered many years ago not knowing that it would eventually and irrevocably destroy every bit of the humanity I was allotted, which wasn’t much to begin with.

This lack of sense inside me grows every time I attempt to shrink it with more and more of this drug until I eventually desensitize myself to all manner of human plights.

But in an attempt to repair my soul and piece back together the shattered pieces of my heart I jump, and am swept up in another spin in this vicious cycle that I’m locked in.

A book. A new book, a new wonderland and once again I give into the craving for the tangible and intangible parts of the lust and lure of the beautiful words.

Once again I am engulfed.
Wrapped in a blanket of intrigue, but a sense of dread overcomes me, for I know that when I arrive at the end of this book I will be greeted with the quilt of longing that will suffocate me once more. Breaking my already unrecognizable soul into smaller pieces still.

The author's comments:
I wrote this piece after finishing the last book of the Hunger Games (which enthralled me so completely i devoured it in 8 hours) which is a very main stream book that was written for the well...main stream. So i think it was the sleep deprivation that was talking here, but i like what it had to say so i might have to experiment with fatigue and writing more often. But just in case whoever reads this is a Hunger Games fanatic don't get me wrong i really did like the books.