Dear Mom | Teen Ink

Dear Mom

Dear Mom,

I really don't know what to say. I've known you my whole life, obviously. But I'm thirteen now, and I suppose this is a stage every teen goes through, but I'm having mixed feelings.
I will say this in the nicest way I can. You care what other people think. That's ALL you care about, quite frankly. You have insulted us (us referring to my sister and me) for almost wearing slightly wrinkled clothes, and in the process, insulted our friends' clothes, too. We can't have the slightest stain and the shirt can't be too short. That's all we hear. You will frantically fix our hair because you are afraid it will look sloppy or unattractive. It gets me angry.
Another thing is, my friends can't be a little crazy. If they say the smallest profanity that they don't mean to say, they're out. Gone. I can't be friends with them. But I would rather secretly text them and lie about it than never talk to them again. This really might not be a big matter, but I just had to mention it.
You won't let me date. Even if I really like someone. I think I'm old enough now, even if my sister had to wait until 15. I'm sure if she had found her guy at my age, you'd let her date him. But my problem is, everyone else is moving on, and getting a boyfriend or girlfriend. And I'm stuck. The only people I'd ever date are, in your eyes, too old for me. I am tired of it.
And the thing that hurts me the most, is that you are mean to us when we are sad. Do you remember when I was little, crying in church? You didn't comfort me. You just said, "You're embarrassing me." It hurt. A lot. I'm never going to forget that day.

I don't know what to say.

I just had to get this out.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

I got a problem like that with my dad and he doesn't get it either. My suggestion to you is to lower your expectations of her. Don't be pessimistic, but don't exactly expect her to the right thing in those kinds of situations. That way, you won't get as hurt and at rare times when she does, you'll be happy:)

WillHug4Money GOLD, Florien, Louisiana

Nothing is stronger than gentleness, and nothing is so gentle as real strength.

Thanks. She really doesn't understand what she's doing to us...and I needed to get it out =)

Awh, this is so sad!! I am so sorry you have these kinds of difficulties with your mom! Very well written though, very moving. Awesome job!