Distant, Past, Close Memory

In the front yard at 9:30 a.m., I was barefoot playing fetch with my dog Merlin. The milk hauler was loading milk from our farm.
I was only seven

I watched Merlin joyfully run to get the ball. While Bringing it back, he stopped to watch the milk hauler go to the last stop before coming back down our road.
I was only seven

I watched as Merlin ran after the milk truck, softly I said, “We will continue our game of fetch when he comes back,” like so many times before.
I was only seven

I found myself screaming for Merlin to get back to the yard, he stopped, looked at me, then continued to run. He had done this before. The next thing I knew, I was down on my knees, tears escaping me like a broken levee, screaming Merlin’s name as he lay in the middle of the road motionless, lifeless. That was the last time Merlin and I played fetch.

I look back to when I was only seven

In Loving memory of my best friend,
Merlin

wordnerd54 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm so sorry that this happened to you!  The worst part was when you said that he had done it before and you thought he would come back... It was very simple, but still very good; I really liked it.