You're Not My Best Friend | Teen Ink

You're Not My Best Friend

August 5, 2010
By MilesToTravel BRONZE, Homedale, Idaho
MilesToTravel BRONZE, Homedale, Idaho
4 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
May the odds be EVER in your favor- Effie Trinket


The little lime green bracelet dangles over the bridge. Best friends it symbolizes. Lies all lies. Emily was my Best Friend now we're nothing. I hurl the little bracelet out to the river. It swallows it up and I don't see it anymore. Then I cry.

She was always there for me or so I thought. She liked me right? I mean she always came to me for advice. We hung out whenever we could. We bought matching best friends bracelets and shared everything. I guess I didn't realize that Emily was changing. While I played basketball, she did cheerleading, I played soccer, she went to the mall, I ran track, she painted her nails. I wasn't ever the girly-girl, shopping type. I loved doing that but not everyday. I mean I'm a girl but don't like sitting around all the time. She soon started talking to the other girls who did nothing but worry about their hair or nails. I can't say she dumped me for them because I was the one who let her go. But I did lose my best friend. Emily wasn't Emily anymore.

One hot summer day we were hanging out and had absolutely nothing to say to each other. “Emily wanna go swimming?” “Nah I just straightened my hair.” “Emily you're not my best friend anymore?” She stared back at me “No I guess I'm not.” “We're just two different people now.” “Yeah and I have to go I'll see you around.” She said walking away. I gaped speechless and I knew that moment in my heart that Emily didn't care about me anymore.

I'm still waiting for the day when she'll look back at me and say “Remember that one time we ran away from our parents and hid in our tree house. Let's do it again.” I run away thinking mentally, “Emily come back please.” I run to our magical kingdom ruled by Princess Emily and Princess Natalie. Our tree house sits right next to the riverbank. I step inside. “Oh.” I gasp. Our tree house is still same as we left it years ago. Coloring books are littered in the corner, cheap make-up half used sits on the plastic table, and our dolls posing on the bench. I pick up our childhood album which we we're creating and sit next to the window. After paging through a couple of picture I look out admire the view. Something glitters a miniature rainbow reflects off of it. Squinting I make out the object, directly in front of me my Best friends Bracelet lays out on the bank. I laugh and climb out to retrieved it. Something sparks within me and I know that Emily will come back one day.