More Than That This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

You slide into your seat, and I hurriedly glance down at my book. I feel your gaze burning a hole in my cheek, and when I glance up, tucking a stray chocolate brown curl behind my ear, I see a small, puzzled smile on your beautiful face.

“Don’t you ever stop reading?” you ask me incredulously. I just blush and look down at my book. It was a good book. But I wasn’t paying the least bit of attention to it.

The lesson starts. Part of my mind is paying attention. The other part is just wandering along its way, thinking of you…

You’re a mystery. I never can tell what’s going on behind those deep brown eyes of yours.

To others, you’re the hot, athletic kid who’s very weird and unabashed, not afraid to say or do anything. Once as we sat waiting for class to begin, you rolled your shirt up ‘til it was tied above your ribs and asked me if it made you look hot. I said no. I lied.

I think I’m the only one who can tell that there’s more to you than that. Our teacher partnered us for a project, and I remembered internally groaning and celebrating, suspecting that I’d have to do most of the heavy-lifting, but over-joyed at the prospect of spending more time with you.

But you were different. You didn’t slack of like you usually do. You deferred to me, treating me as the leader, respecting my intelligence, but still pulling your own weight. You did work. Did a lot of the work that our autistic group member was unable to. You were quiet, polite, and business-like. I loved that.

But then it was over. Some days, you’d laugh with me, and we’d act like friends—albeit somewhat tense ones. Like the one day when we were going over homework that was going to be graded, and you changed your one answer to match mine, thinking I was right—I was wrong. I burst into hysterical giggles and, to my surprise, you followed, taking it with good humor. We laughed, and as we continued writing our elbows bumped into each other. I remember feeling your warmth against my skin, and missing it when it was gone.

Then you started to ignore me. We watched videos in class almost every day, and every time you would go to the back to sit next to your strange friend, leaving the seat beside me empty and desolate.

In the yearbooks, if you were close to someone you put more than just “Have a good summer.” You could say something meaningful. When I worked up the nerve to ask you to sign mine, you agreed—I figured the worst you could sign would be H.A.G.S—that would mean you couldn’t even bother spelling it out. I got something slightly better. I got “Have a great summer.” Not without you I won’t. Not that I’d say that.

I haven’t seen you since then, and this whole time, I’ve felt a whole in me, an empty, gaping abyss that was left wide open, and only you can fill. For now, I can only sit here and pray that I’ll be in your class next year. That once again I’ll feel the warmth of your skin against mine. That I’ll be proven right—there’s more to you than they know.

Iluvmybff said...
Wow. Amazing! Someting so simular to this happened to me. But we do't go to the same school anymore.):

ItWasAMurderButNotACrime This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 2, 2010 at 7:47 pm :
Thanks! I'm sorry:(

writergirl13 said...
Aug. 30, 2010 at 10:33 am:
Wow!  I love this. This really reminds me of something that happened to me too. I hate when guys that you like are first your friends, and then they just start ignoring you like strangers. Great work, very well written. two thumbs up, and five stars! 

Aug. 30, 2010 at 4:26 pm :
Thanks! I'm glad you can relate:D

Mikky-girlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:44 am:
awsome. and i like the part about the autistic very cool :)

Aug. 27, 2010 at 3:54 pm :
Thanks! But what?

AnneOnnimous said...
Awe, this is so so sweet! I think a lot of people can relate to it; it seems like something a lot of people go through, yet you make it seem special and totally original. great job, and I hope things turn out well ;)

gymbabe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 17, 2010 at 8:15 pm :
Thanks! :D I hope so too.

CallMeFelixThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

That was great and well written =) adorable even, I hope it works out for the best!

Please look at my work if you have the time? Thanks =) Keep writing!

Aug. 17, 2010 at 4:23 pm :
Thank you! Of course I will:D

introducing.me_899This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
aaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww :))))) that was sweet... it reminds of the guy i used to like too...

Aug. 15, 2010 at 5:32 pm :
Thanks:D    

gracegirl29This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this was fantastic and i can relate because someone i really care about, although not a boyfriend is known as the funny one in the group but I saw more than that in her, I saw a great role model. When I stopped seing that I wrote a poem called "The Window to the Right" which should be posted pretty soon. This was great and i'd love for you to check it out when it finally gets approved:)

Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:07 pm :
Thank you! And of course I will:D Just comment here when it's posted.

gracegirl29This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 26, 2010 at 3:40 pm :
Finally it's posted! and i just realized that it's not a whole lot like this but i would still love for people to check it out and post comments! thanks:)

Aug. 27, 2010 at 12:25 am :
Sure! No problem.

darkangle56 said...
omg i luved it. u have gudd writing talent. check mine out please

Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:41 pm :
Thanks! Of course.

HelyRose said...
Aug. 8, 2010 at 9:17 am:
Great piece ! good writing .keep it up . and please check out mine also. thanks

Aug. 8, 2010 at 9:19 am :
Thanks.  Sure.