Unwanted Rescue | Teen Ink

Unwanted Rescue

By Sarthak BRONZE, Calgary, Other
Sarthak BRONZE, Calgary, Other

This incident took place within the first couple days since we moved to this abandon neighbourhood. It was a bright sunny day when me and my sister Ella convinced mom to let us get around and get familiar to the place which would be our home for couple years.

There was a huge sign right outside our driveway saying “Lake Iravery- 7 km” which got my attention from the day we moved in. Swimming has always been my passion. I have gathered a ton of medals from the provincial and national races over the years!

There would have been no other place I wanted to go more than swimming. So following the sign, we biked for a good ten minutes before we could see an enormous body of water. The sight was too good to be called a lake. Finally I was able to smell some fresh water rushing through an unidentified source. I ran to the shore with my sister, too excited to ask weather she would like to bathe.

It was then, I realised I heard some sort of scream. I pretended to ignore it. It was getting louder as I saw a person on a rusted rowboat yelling for help. A cloud of fear surrounded me as I saw the boat eventually lowering itself , getting closer and closer to the water level .
‘‘ It’s sinking” I thought to myself

I quickly looked up to Ella and forced some stammering words out “What… what should we do?”

I didn’t wait for a response neither did I expect one. My brain was suddenly acting like a slow internet with a thousand of popup. The first thing I thought of was all the procedures in my life guard class. There was this thing which was stopping me from jumping, I guess it was the great risk of not making it back alive.

I gathered up all of my thoughts and asked myself “Should I do this or not?” A voice inside my head forced me to dive without giving it another thought,

“Splash!”
I heard the sound of my body displacing water to fit in. I can’t remember if the water was cold or not.

Now that I was in the water I just had one and only goal; which was to get to the boat as soon as possible. To make that happen I gave up all my energy, kicking and slapping the water.

“This was my real test and I had to succeed.” I thought to myself as I approached to the disappearing boat

Once I got to the person I yelled as loud as I could. “Get on my shoulders”

I quickly got him to a position it would be easier for me to carry. I was able to tell that the guy does not trust me whole lot, as he was uncomfortable. Probably because of my age, I guessed.

I closed my eyes and didn’t keep track of how much I swam. I decided to open them when I am all tired and can’t go much further. It took a lot of stamina to keep the pace going. The thought of saving someone’s life motivated me and kept me going. I finally got tired and decided to open my eyes. To my surprise we were few yards away from the fast approaching shore.
“Couple more strong kicks” I thought.

When we finally made it to the shore; it was hard to believe I made it. I took some time to catch my breath and then I yelled “yayyyyyyyyyyyy”
Victory took over me!

(Change of point of view)

“Did you accomplish your mission” my wife yelled in an exciting voice.
I was too depressed to tell her what actually happened.

“Every thing was going perfect; I even planted a hole in his boat and he was extremely close to dying,” I paused. “the last thing I would have expected was a child coming and save a terrorist.”
“ This could cost 100s of innocent life wasted!”

Well written Sarthak...Now i know u can do it

Ramu Kaka said...
Bahut hi badiya likhe ho bitawa. Bo ka kahate hai " GOOD JOB "

Sweta said...
on Aug. 4 2010 at 8:38 am
Interesting story and well drafted. Keep up your good work.

Sanjay said...
Really Good Story...  Keep writing....

Shievndra said...
Keep writing good stories like this...

sangeets said...
Great story Sarthak! A good beginning. Keep it up.

Archana said...
Sarthak, I enjoyed the story. It touched me.

Sunil said...
Really good story.. Good Job

Shailesh said...
Excellent story Sarthak. I could not stop once I started reading it ! Keep writing.

Jyoti said...
This was an excellent story. Adventure and mystry together makes it good.

Sangeeta said...

Good Job Sarthak.

Keep it up.