Every Writer Starts Off As a Reader

Remember being four or five and just learning how to read? You would try to read just about anything with words to show off or test your ability. You would read anything and everything. Whether it was appropriate, or not. Billboards, signs, slogans, books, letters, etc. And even if you weren't really reading the words correctly, you thought you were.

Well, that's how I was. I remember being four and just learning how to read. I was so happy because I finally knew what people were saying when they looked over paper. I remember reading things I had no business saying. Like one time when I was over my cousin's house. We were watching MTV and the word "damn" popped up on the screen. I sounded out the word, doing my best to perfectly make the "D" sound. After I'd accomplished that, I let the rest of the word escape out of my mouth. "D-D-D-Damn," I said. My cousin told me not to say it because it was a bad word. Humph, isn't that what everyone used to tell us when we were little?

Well after I perfected my new reading skills, I became an avid young writer. I was only in kindergarten but hey, I had mad skills as a kindergartner. My first book that I remember writing was called, "The Magic Cup". Yes, it was very cliche. It was about a girl who got a magic cup, made wishes on it, and all of them came true. Self-explanatory,I know. I illustrated and wrote it by myself. I wish I still had it; young minds are so imaginitive.

Even though I've always loved to read and write, I don't think that I really made my mind up about being a writer until I was 11 or 12. I'm really passionate about my writing, and I think that the steps that I'm taking now will really lead me to great success in the future. I know people always say, "Remember this face/name." or "Remember me because I'm gonna be famous one day.", but most of the time you don't remember those people, and they never do become famous. But with me, I'm serious when I say,"Remember this name and face." Because one day, I WILL become a famous writer, and people WILL know who I am

partlycloudyholiday This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2010 at 6:12 am
This is true. You can not be a great writer until you're a great reader. I love how you described your first story about the cup. That was cute.  The article is relatable. I'm learning Japanese and I feel like such a little kid reading signs, books, candy packages, and movie posters that are in Japanese. Stay passionate about writing and you will succeed.

LuvKirstyn14 replied...
Thnxz so much. And that's cool. You always gotta start from the bottom to make it to the top. I've always wanted to go to Tokyo. I hope u do well!

mudpuppy said...
It's good to see someone who takes writing seriously as much as I do.

LuvKirstyn14 replied...
Yea, i'm very passionate about my writing