Unknown in the Darkness

Ever since I was little I've been afraid of the dark. Afraid of what I wouldn't see, of what might be coming.
The monsters that lurk, and the noises they create, make you shake not wanting to move from your place.
You're constantly looking to find an escape, but find no relief in the darkness they create.
The doors you mangage to lock, but they don't stop the thoughts, of what lies in the dark.

I remember sitting up at night listening to what sounded like people walking.
Hoping I was wrong in what lies beyond. But never knowing for sure what was actually out there.
I'll never forget that look when she told me he was here, right now this moment,
in my yard screaming and swearing. Threatening to kill, damage, and destroy anything that would leave us in pain.

When the police showed up minutes later, I became nervous he would come back, do something, anyhting.
They left to get a restraining order leaving me behind with a screaming two year old, in the midst of the darkness.
I didn't know what to do, all I could do was cry. I couldn't sleep, just sit in the dark and think.
Pray that it wouldn't happen again. Hoping everything would be okay. Scarred to be left alone in the dark.

At night I listen, to everything; the sounds, the cars slowing and speeding, the way the wind blows.
I'm always the first to know if anything is happening. Afraid to go to sleep, should no one wake.
It's a curse that I can't get over. The fear of the darkness in a box with no escape.
Three doors that are always locked, afraid it won't be enough to stop whatever is coming.

They tell me everything is fine, nothing will happen, but that's a promise they cannot keep.
They can't control others actions that they wish to complete.
This is what it feels like to be afraid of the unknown. Nothing soothes you, nothing calms you.
there's always that fear that something will come as soon as you go to sleep.
But when you wake up you're thankful that nothing happened, another nights rest that didn't prove you wrong.

A.Dreamer said...
Wow, this was an amazing idea to write: a story in poetic form.
I felt the fear written into this story as I was reading it, so good job with expressing your emotion in this!

Meganchristine replied...
First off thank you for commenting. This happens to be one of my favorite poems. at first when I was writing it I had planed to send it in for a scholarship. Imagery was part of the requirements to win. I couldn't really tell if it possesed any since i'm the one whom went through it. So I sent it to one of my friends and he said it has a little bit... But I think you can do better so I never sent it in. I also do enjoy writing sotries in poem form, I think in my perspective that it has more mean... (more »)

A.Dreamer replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 8:07 am
Yeah, I agree with you, there's usually more meaning in poems like this.
And aweee, it's a shame you didn't get to send this in.

Meganchristine replied...
yeah hahah, when I first heard about the scholarship I was looking through all of my poems looking for one that actually met the standards. I had edited it for 20 lines max, then typed the email when i reemmbered I had submitted it to teenink. I emailed the editor asking them to deny it or just simply delete the poem. No answer, then a couple days later it got accepted to the site. But it's alright, the one that i wrote i'm pretty sure that I'm sending it in. In my opinion it's better. hahaha it... (more »)

_truth said...
Jul. 24, 2010 at 10:02 am
that was really good. i really liked. towards the end i felt like i was actually there waiting to see what would happen in the dark

Meganchristine replied...
thanks so much!! It means a lot

Felicia said...
i really like how you can turn a story into a poem and let the reader into your mind of what you see feel and hear while still telling what happened

Meganchrisitne replied...
Thank you so much, I'm so pleased to hear you liked it. This is honestly one of my favorite poems I've ever written. I have to be honest though it's kinda hard because the more detail that you put in the less the message shows. Thank you though I really appreciate you commenting