Implementing Smart Energy | Teen Ink

Implementing Smart Energy

In the world where "Going Green" is the new fad, many teens are inspired to do anything that they can to reduce waste, stop pollution, reduce energy usage, and much more! I am one of those teens as well. In the beginning of 2010, I was inspired by a presentation by a Yale graduate, Alexis Ringwald, who gave motivating speeches on what's happening in the world and why we, the generation of the future, should be the ones implementing green projects. She and a friend started up a company called Valence Energy that made software that were able to make energy usage available from smart meters through their website and even through the iPhone! From her lecture, I was persuaded to start a club in which installing smart meters were a major goal.
Today, my club is called the Smart Energy Club; it's purpose is to inspire students at school to reduce their energy usage and waste production. At the moment, we are at the stage of calculating an energy grade for my high school. After the energy grade, we will apply to grants that will fund us on this energy-saving project as well as having fundraisers throughout the year! I'm excited to get this project started in the upcoming school year and remember, the future of a better world is in the power of those who wish to change it!