My Life with Autism | Teen Ink

My Life with Autism

June 27, 2010
By TwoFace17 GOLD, Sioux City, Iowa
TwoFace17 GOLD, Sioux City, Iowa
14 articles 2 photos 15 comments

I'm a good student in school. I get As and Bs, never miss class, and all of the teachers like me. I have problems at school though. I'm shy, act awkward, can't make eye contact, and here's the big topper...I have a form of autism called Asperger's Syndrome. People make fun of me, talk about me behind my back, and act like I'm stupid and inferior. I go to an autism class that isn't special education, it is a study hall for autistic kids where they get help on schoolwork and are able to make adjustments. Even the kids in the class make fun of me. They make fun of me for being quiet and and liking to read books. They even have friends. I could be labeled a freak. I have no friends and I doubt that I will ever have any. I also doubt that I'll ever get a girlfriend. I'm scared to drive. I'm planning on riding in taxis and buses all of my adult life (I graduate at age 19 and I'm 17 now). The car accident that my mom was in didn't help my fear of driving also. I got hurt badly in the accident. My head gushed blood like crazy and it got all over my shirt and shorts. I have a big scar on my forehead from that accident.

If God exists, why did he make me this way?

The author's comments:
I hope that this article shows people that treating other people badly just because they are different is wrong.