Soup Talk | Teen Ink

Soup Talk

By Grelle SILVER, Moscow Mills, Missouri
Grelle SILVER, Moscow Mills, Missouri

Life is like a box of cholates you never know what you gonna get.
-Forset Gump

Tonight I went to a soup kitchen with a couple of people from youth group. On the way there we got lost and we drove around then I noticed there was people sleeping in the park. I living in a rural town I guess had never seen that I heard of it but never experienced it. When we got there it was a small soup kitchen men only. The walls were bare there was plastic chairs and a pulpit on one side of the room and on the other side there was four cafeteria style tables. I was told that up stairs there are 22 bunk beds and a couple of showers. There were a couple of rules to stay you must be there by 6:00 p.m. No drugs, drinking, ect. Your stuff was locked up and they were searched upon arrival. Lights out at 9:00 p.m. We served them, then after word we had a talk they called it chapel because all these men even tough were poor had found God and read the bible which is amazing. One of the volunteers there sang and it was great. I got to talk to one of the people and they said they been living there for a year. But the thing was they were happy and clean these guys did not scare me. I’m glad I went I feel like a better person.