Crossfire | Teen Ink

Crossfire

By Mongo BRONZE, Uhrichsville, Ohio
Mongo BRONZE, Uhrichsville, Ohio

the function of music is to release us from the tyranny of concious thought

I bounced lightly in my seat. When is he going to call back? I honked my horn at a car that was in my way. I still had to shower, get dressed, and I was 50 miles out of Columbus! Beads of sweat rolled down my forehead as I weaved in and out of cars. Finally, my CB radio crackled, and to my relief, Dave’s voice came through. “James, I heard you needed to get home?” Dave, my dispatcher had been on break when I radioed that I needed to be sent home. “Yes sir, I have a wedding to attend and its in about,” I looked at my watch. “2 hours.”
“Er James, I don’t think we can get you there. The load you are carrying is a high priority load.”
“ Sir, I don’t think you understand, I was a Marine, and I’d rather jump into a crossfire than to deal with my fiancée when I do get home.” He laughed. “I’m sorry James, I don’t think we can send you home.” I sighed. “Thanks anyway.” I took out my headset, dialed 1 on my phone and pressed it to my ear. “Hello?” rang Carmen’s voice on the other end. “Ummmmm….I can’t get home for the wedding.”
“What?! Do I need to call Dave? Cause if so he is so going to regret the day he came onto this earth!” I chuckled lightly. “I told him I had to go to a wedding, but this is a high priority load!”
“James?” She said in her snake like deadly silent tone. “Yes?”
“Did you mention that it was your wedding?”

This actually happened to my mom and step-dad. Their names were changed to prevent public humiliation ;)

EternalAlexandra BRONZE, Spring Hill, Tennessee

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

good story . 

the ending made me smile ;D

sunny rays said...
on Jun. 24 2010 at 11:18 am
Great work. Keep up with your writing.