Make It True | Teen Ink

Make It True

By Francisco E BRONZE, Escondido, California
Francisco E BRONZE, Escondido, California

I believe it is easier to make a promise than it is to keep one.

Everyone at one point has made them. Most of the time promises are difficult to keep. I sat there on the living room couch facing the blank window waiting for her. Would she come? I repeated the phrase over and over in my head. The only thought that came to mind was my mom saying I promise. She had done this before. Every time she spoke those words I always said to myself not to get my hopes up. But there I was, sitting and waiting for my mom to take me to Dave & Buster. After about 10 min I gave up. A little part of me said to wait a bit longer.

Some promises are devastating because some people get way to over excited for something that could potentially not happen. The way I see it promises are almost meant to be broken. When a promise is made another person is hurt in different way. Every body makes promises with good intentions.

The room seemed empty. Really empty. The room was filled with an eerie silence. It was like a black and white movie. The phone began to ring. I made my way over and slowly lifted the telephone up to my ear. “Hello?” My mom spoke. “Yeah it’s me.” I said “Sorry I couldn’t make it. I had to take your little brother to the doctor.” She said. “Oh, really.” I spoke. “I could try to take you this weekend. I promise you this time.” My mom said. “Okay.” I was just about to let this phone call go. “Mom” I said. “Yes” She spoke. “I don’t like you making promises you can’t keep. It makes it hard because I get all my hopes up and for what? To be disappointed.” I had pretty much just let loose. My mom didn’t speak back. It was a pause of not a bad feeling but a pause of truth. It seemed like my mom and I understood each other.

“I didn’t know you felt this way. Why didn’t you ever say something?” She said. “Well mom, I kind of thought you knew.” I lowered my tone. “Okay then. No promises.” My mom confidently spoke. “How about I take you when it is a for sure thing to go.” She said. “Sounds good.”

After that phone call I felt a better relationship with my mom. Since I don’t live with my mom because of my divorced parents, I only see her some weekends. Ever since that happened I felt closer to my mom than ever. As for promises go, I dislike using them. You only say something if it is a guaranteed thing. Promises are meant to make people feel better about their decisions. For most people promises are kept and go as planned. It’s not a bad thing to make a promise but, the best thing to do is to keep them.