The Raffle | Teen Ink

The Raffle

June 4, 2010
By ronim BRONZE, Menifee, California
ronim BRONZE, Menifee, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

We were in the car heading to my little sister’s school’s raffle. Before long we were there. My mother and I headed toward the huge line to put your name in for the raffles.

“Oh! Roni, would you like to do martial arts?” my excited mom asked from across the room.

“Yeah, sure, I guess,” I answered.

Later, while walking around the fundraiser, I was thinking how cool it would be to win. With my mothers excellent luck there’s no question that I wouldn’t.

All of a sudden the speaker yelled out, “Let’s now start to draw names out for the raffle. First up, Roni M. for martial arts!”

I wasn’t too surprised so, I went up to the stage to receive my prize. When I came back my mother was clapping wildly.

“Now, you can kick other people’s butts.” She said while swallowing her ice-cream.

Once she said that I then realized that martial art is self defense and not art.

The next day was practice. On my way to my first class, I was scared out of my mind.

“What if I messed up or fell!” I wondered out loud.
Before I knew it, I was there. As soon as I walked in I went to the restroom. I looked like an albino in my white uniform. All of a sudden, I heard a whistle- I knew I had to go. On my way out, I was counting my steps. Out of nowhere, I saw a pair of big looking feet. I took a deep breath. “Hello,” I somehow managed to get out.

“Hi!” began a deep voice. “My name is Dawn, and I will be your sensei. Please line up on the black mat.”
I did as I was told. During the lesson I never had so much fun.

“You’re the best in the class.” The instructor would say.

Also he would tell others, “Why can’t you be as good as Roni?”

I had this weird feeling every time my feet touched the cold black mat, I felt like I was made for martial arts – that’s when it happened.

“Roni,” my instructor pulled me to the side, “you are my best student. In fact, I would like it in fact if you went to enter a competition.

“What?” I couldn’t believe it. “I’ve been here only three days and you want me to compete?” I freaked out.

“I know you can do it!”

I woke up the next morning of the competition thinking I was going to get my butt kicked. I looked in the mirror- I had big dark circles under my eyes from no sleep last night.

I finally got ready and hopped in the car.

I sat in the car, it felt like only five minuets when all of a sudden I heard my mom yell, “Ok, were here!” you could tell she was worried for me. I couldn’t blame her I was too.

We finally got into the facility.

“Attention, all contestants, please line up according to your rank,” Snarled an older looking man with gray hair.

My heart pounded as I followed his command. My eyes were scanning the room searching for my dad. He was no where to be found. I waited to be called it felt like forever.

Finally, out of the corner of my eye, I saw my father and the next thing I knew they called my name.