To the Fullest | Teen Ink

To the Fullest

June 4, 2010
By ScottBoutonMelbourne BRONZE, Rancho Santa Fe, California
ScottBoutonMelbourne BRONZE, Rancho Santa Fe, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

In my family my parents would stress the point, “Don’t eat that junk.” Or “ Stop watching TV and go run out side.” They wanted me to take care of my body. They wanted me to be like my 96-year-old Uncle, Jim. They wanted me to live life to the fullest just like him. Jim lived in New Mexico. My big brother, David, and him were really close. They would write letters to each other and over the years it went form letters to little surprises. Like the time when my brother received a shoe box in the mail. When he opened it, he found a little replica of New Mexico, with cactus, sand, a Minnie little house, etc. Our brother loved it and in return made one of our new houses in San Diego with sand, waves, etc. But David always kept his own little New Mexico in his room and some days would just look at it and be alone with it. We never go to really meet Uncle Jim, unless we were too young to remember, but whenever we received a card from him it was filled with fun moments and it made it so real that it was just like we and at our house talking with us. He was 97 years old when the news came. Uncle Jim had pasted away. But was really amazing was that the day he was going to pass away, he asked the lady that helped him to read a letter that we had sent him one last time and then, that night, he unexpectedly left us. But he thought us one more thing before he left. To Live Life To The Fullest.


The author's comments:
About my Uncle Jim that pasted away recently at 97