This is Why, Dad This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

No, you may not read this story.
I really am proud of it, yes. It's not embarrassing. I'm not hiding anything. And I have indeed posted it on the Internet for hundreds to see. People say it's good. You still may not read it.

Why? Because you're my dad.

It has everything to do with it, okay? Hear me out. Sometimes, when I'm bored, I take a little bit of my soul. I distill it, organize it, refine it, and then slap it down on a piece of paper.

It's private. It's mine. And I can't share it lightly.

Okay, yes, I did post it online where anyone can see it, where thousands of strangers can criticize and discuss, but there is a difference.

That difference is that the Internet is anonymous. That difference is that these people are looking deep inside me but they don't know it. The difference is that they analyze my writing, some of them, but don't think too hard about the creator.

You are my father. We are related and will be for the rest of our lives. And though this story is not about me – not about anyone I know, not about anything that's ever happened to me – it's still my soul. I have a deep, probably unfounded, and unshakeable fear of how it will change your view of me.

I am not brave enough. I'm sorry, but no, you may not read this story.

(Feel free to show this to Mom.)

BrisaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:37 am
You know, it's weird how none of us want to share these things with our parents. Writing, especially poetry, really is a piece of yourself, and when you show it to someone you care about, you're baring yourself to their opinions. I have never shown a single page of writing to my dad. I guess I'm afraid he'll think I'm crazy or something. Whatever. Maybe someday later, Dad. Great poetry, Imaginedangerous.

guardianofthestarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I know exactly how you feel

lizerina776 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 21, 2012 at 8:49 am
I love how you wrote this and I can totally relate! I usually keep my writing to myself and don't show it to my parents unless I have to. Also, I agree, showing your writing to hundreds of strangers over the internet is so much easier than sharing it with someone you're close to. Really great job, I've read your other writing and you have a lot of talent! :)

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:58 am
I know right! This is perfect. I feel the same way-- you pour your feelings into it, and then you see the blank smile on their face, or the "oh, erm, dear, you had a swear word in that story" lecture. I don't share my writing with my faamily, unless it's academic.

4qui133 said...
oh M Gee! I remember this piece from the magazine! I loved it because my parents are always bugging me to let them read my writing--especially my dad. we had a huge fight about it once. the line "I distill it, organize it, refine it, and then slap it down on a piece of paper" poignantly describes exactly why i couldn't let him--the imagery used adds to it enormously.

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
After it got published, he thankfully backed off a little. I couldn't actually get it together enough to say it to his face.

4qui133 replied...
I'm glad you got the message to him somehow--don't take offense, but i don't see how you couldn't say that to him, simply to asset your individuality. I would never be able to hold myself together and NOT say it.

I tend to be bolder on paper than in real life. :)

4qui133 replied...
me too, with people outside my family. but with my parents... :B ...sorry. you probably have a better relationship with yours than me with mine :P

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I remember this piece in the mag, didn't know it was yours though :). It's exactly how I feel about my writing too...

Loki17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very good piece.  However, I feel that you would be better off without the last line (in parentheses).  It doesn't correspond with the flow of the article, and makes little sense (as your dad would have already read the entire essay by then).

Hobbit@Heart said...
Totally agree with this.. I love your how your writing can change from action adventure to exactly what I'm thinking.. Keep writing!

ErisRose said...
haha I love this! i refuse to show my writing to my parents and they don't understand why, I love how you wrote this, keep writing.

lkk4209This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is exactly my situation and I use idioms and speech patterns that are extremely similar to those used in this piece...maybe you're my doppelganger? xD

Alexandrathepoet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 10:25 am
For the longest time, i wouldnt let family read my stuff...i really like your writing style.

RiverSong said...
Definitely showing this to my mom... hope you don't mind :D

Strike_Eagle said...
This is a great piece of writing.  I definetly agree with it.

bobun16 said...
I like this one! could you maybe read some of my stuff?

brax34 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 11:29 am
yet again, its beautiful and amazing and accurate and you are now officially my favorite poet!

dancer13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
it's exactly how i feel!!!! :D