An Explanation This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I need a story, you see. That's why I have so much energy and no outlet for it. That's why my thoughts thrash around in my skull in dark and light and blue, with textures ranging from silky to metallic to straw weave.

That's why I want to run and yell with pent-up joy and frustration and sheer energy, but can't (because honestly, that would just look weird). That's why I can't sleep even when I'm dead tired. My thoughts are too fast, frenetic. That's why I pace.

I need a story, you see. That's why, behind my eyes, I see scenes of fighting and joy and random snatches of lives. That's why every mundane sound morphs into a gunshot or yell or wild song, why a simple drive becomes a car chase and an ordinary envelope becomes something much more sinister. That's why I hear conversations between characters, shouted in a panic or whispered softly or hardly finished for laughter. I don't know what they're laughing at – which is why I need a story.

Why? I've got to focus this energy, or it will tear me apart. A major reason. Trace amounts of adrenaline flutter through my veins constantly, and I no use for it. I'm dying to be in my element, in front of the keyboard, where I belong. I'm itching to take these ideas and words and carve something worthwhile out of them. It's one of the elementary laws of the universe: A painter has to paint. A chef has to cook. An athlete has to run. And I have to write.

The second reason, now. I think I already mentioned the fragmented sounds and sights running in my head like a slow and controlled explosion. I need to know why. I'm dying to find out why that airplane fills him with a sense of dread. I want to figure out what exactly it's running from in the night with a smoke-yellowed moon. I don't know why she's laughing alone under a tree. And then there's that huge tumult raging in the background, and yelling that (somehow) is both panicked and controlled at the same time: “I can't, sir! We're out of …” Out of what? Range? The water? Ammo? Time? How does the conversation end? And why?

Without a story, I'll never know. And I can't use it, and I can't sleep at night for wondering and energy. I won't have the plot between my teeth and the spacebar beneath my thumb.

And that's just not what I'll settle for.

So I need a story, you see.

KatsK This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You, imaginedangerous, capture exactly what I feel. I as well totally have flashes of inspiration, of "ohh, this is what milton meant in Paradise Lost" and brilliant new ideas. I was literally yearning for my computer, as I spent a few days in DC without it and got so inspired it was painful to not write.

I like pie said...

I wrote a short poem about this;

A thousand ideas run through my head

must get them out before I am dead. 

4qui133 replied...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 8:06 pm :
worlds are burning in my head i write or else they'll end up dead blood on my hands i see with dread ouch. people are going to start writing fan fiction about your fiction before you actually publish it. email me when you get something in hardcover, okay?

4qui133 replied...
Jan. 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm :
that didn't format the way i wanted it to. d*mn.

Detective Charriez said...

I feel like this every day!!!! I cant come up with a story, but hear charcters screaming and crying and laughing! It's so frustrating!

So yeah, I really enjoyed this peice of art

xAllegria said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 7:26 am:
If this is what you write when you don't have a story, I'd like to see how it is when you do. ;) Very nice.

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Awesome! I loved this article! Great Job, I'm rating this story 5 out of 5 stars.

iDogrocker said...
I think this may just have become my favorite article on TeenInk. This describes how I feel so much of the time so well! I've never really been able to describe it, but you've done it for me. 5 stars. This is incredible. 

dancer13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 4:58 pm:

Ahhh! I'm going through and commenting on pretty much all of your work. :) It's amazing!!! Makes me feel a bit stalkerish, though. Sorry.

You should check out some of my stuff...though there's not much of it (yet).

Imaginedangerous This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 9, 2010 at 5:08 pm :

Yes, my inbox was full of 'Someone has commented on your article' notices...but I don't mind. :)

I read 'Her Name was Fatima' and loved it. I rated it five stars.

dancer13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 10, 2010 at 4:41 pm :

haha sorry(:

And thanks! I was kind of thinking I should revise it a bit though, maybe sort of make her go to the mosque and start getting involved with her Muslim-ness again, so that the authorities at least have some backing when they arrest her. Would that make it more plausible?

Jun. 14, 2010 at 5:07 pm :
It's great the way it is.