Open Letter to Procrastination | Teen Ink

Open Letter to Procrastination

By Regan O&#39Brien SILVER, Prospect Heights, Illinois
Regan O&#39Brien SILVER, Prospect Heights, Illinois

Dear Procrastination,
Don’t look surprised, I’m sure you saw this coming. No, we can not talk about this tomorrow, it’s going to be now. I don’t care that "The Simpson’s" is airing. Now listen, I am tired of your constant laziness and how you always distract me from what I need to do. I know that sounds harsh, but think about it. Yesterday, when I walked in my door, sat down on the couch and got out my Calculus book, you tiptoed up to me. You tempted me with that familiar smile. You leaned in close and whispered in my ear, “Wouldn’t it be fun to put that aside and relax after your hard day? Just for an hour or so? There’s only four problems, you can do them later...” I tried to stare you down, but your oh-so-innocent eyes and that up-to-no-good smile broke my resolve. I hesitated for a bit, but eventually put down my book and pencil and picked up the laptop. It’s not fair. I can’t resist that impish grin of yours. You exploit my weaknesses convincing me to get off task, yet we have had some really good times together. I liked making cookies instead of doing my Psychology note cards. Playing Nancy Drew and the Ransom of the Seven Ships was more fun than studying for French. I realized, however, that this relationship is not going anywhere. I am going to college next year, and I need to have a fresh start. With you in my life, I am not able to reach my full potential as a student and as a person. I need to grow up even if you won’t. That is why I must say goodbye. I will always remember you.
Sincerely,
Regan