Bad Luck | Teen Ink

Bad Luck

By Chantel Parker BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Chantel Parker BRONZE, Colorado Springs, Colorado

My birthday weekend left three scars. My birthday was the 24th of April, and prom just so happened to be the next day; it was the worst weekend of my life. I had been planning on going to prom for months; even though I was just a sophomore, my boyfriend was a junior, and we had been talking about it for awhile. I was so excited that my sweet sixteenth birthday and prom were so close together.
My mom and I drove to Denver to go dress shopping. We walked around for awhile and came across a store called “XOXO.” The store was filled with all kinds of fancy dresses, some short, some long, and in every color. But only one dress really caught my eye; it was a dark blue, silky dress with beading on the top. When I tried it on it fit me perfectly, I tried on a few other dresses but nothing compared to this one, so we immediately bought it. For the next couple of months, the big dance all anyone chatted about at school. I wasn’t worried about not getting asked to prom because my boyfriend and I had been dating for almost a year. But weeks went by and he still hadn’t popped the question. About two weeks were left and I was looking at the clock tick slowly in my last period class. I thought I would be in there forever. All of a sudden Cal, the Campus Supervisor, walked in and called my name. Cal is like the “father” of the school; when he yelled your full name you know you’re in trouble. I walked over anxiously, thinking of every possible scenario he would have to talk to me about. He began to talk in a deep, stern voice, “Lancer you weren’t in your third period where were you,” he yelled with a straight face. I replied quickly, “At a doctor’s appointment.” But he didn’t believe me and started to write my name down on his clipboard for detentions. I could feel my hands get sweaty, and my temper rising. In front of my whole class I started yelling back at him saying I was in class, and he could even call my parents if he wanted to. He put me back in my place, demanding me not to talk to him that way. I could not believe this was happening. I was getting more enraged for having to do detentions for something I didn’t do, and my classmates’ glaring wasn’t helping. Suddenly the door opened again. My boyfriend walked in holding a pink bouquet of flowers and asked, “Will you go to prom with me?” My face immediately turned beat red and the entire class broke out in “awes.” Of course I said yes, and felt a sudden relief when Cal had a grin across his face, put the clipboard away and slowly stepped outside.
Now I couldn’t be more excited to go to prom. It was really right around the corner, the day after my birthday. I felt extremely sharp, aching pains in my stomach the day of my birthday. I didn’t want to do anything or eat anything; it was awful. I never felt anything like it before, I couldn’t even move, I didn’t see anyone, or even eat birthday cake. The next morning I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to go to the emergency room. I was there for hours waiting for help, crying in the waiting room. I was getting skipped over because other people were coming in that needed help right away, I even remember a little boy that was screaming in the back from being poisoned, and I had to explain my story to at least six people before I was actually seen by a doctor that could help me. My boyfriend came over right away after I had finally seen somebody, with birthday presents and balloons that I didn’t get to open the day before. After hours of testing and waiting they told me I was probably going to go home because my white blood count looked normal. But the doctors wanted to do one more test just to make sure. I had to drink two cups of this drink that looked like punch but was a disgusting dye, to light up my stomach during a test. Finally the nurse came in telling me that I would not be going to prom and they needed to do an immediate surgery to remove my appendix. A million questions zoomed through my mind, as tears trickled down my face. I felt awful that everyone had gone through all of that trouble and spent all that money for nothing. I had to stay the night in the hospital, some friends came to visit after the surgery and my boyfriend spent the night with me. My first prom I will never forget.

jesseay09 SILVER, Palm Bay, Florida

Be who you are and say what you feel.... Because those that matter... don't mind... And those that mind... don't matter.

Wow you must have been really upset to miss it..... this was good :)