Als: Stupid Life Taker | Teen Ink

Als: Stupid Life Taker

June 2, 2010
By TiaRae BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
TiaRae BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
2 articles 1 photo 2 comments

In 2008, you were probably hanging with friends, going on dates, working for that new iPod or doing something with family, but my 2008 was the worst years of my life. My dad was diagnosed with ALS. I’m going to tell you a little about his history, how his life changed, and how my life changed.
On November 22, my dad was born. He lived a happy life, and right out of high school he joined the army. While he was in the army he got married to his first wife, Debra, and a little after they got married they had their first daughter, Nicole on December 20, and they later had their second daughter, Cymbre on March 7. They later found out that they weren’t in love anymore and got a divorce. He then went to college and got his nursing degree. Shortly after he graduated he met his current wife and my mom. 2 years after they got married they had my sister, Jonna on March 31. 2 years after they had Jonna, They had me on September 22. But that’s not all you want to know.
On February 7, 2008, my dad was feeling funny so he didn’t go to work that day. That night he fell and we thought that he just lost his balance. The next day he fell again and we started to worry. So we counted how many times he fell in one month and told him. He made a doctor’s appointment the next day. They couldn’t find out what it was. On March 16, 2008 he was diagnosed with PLS. 7 months after he was diagnosed with PLS he was diagnosed with ALS. My reaction was like someone turned off the sound and everything was empty. After he was diagnosed he started to change. He started having to use a cane, then it was a walker, but now he is in a wheel chair. Not only did his life change after the diagnoses, but mine started to change also.
October 10, 2008, I came home from school, tired as always but I knew something was wrong when I saw dads truck parked up the hill because he never got home before me. As I walked in the house I saw the family sitting around the table. My mom told me to sit down because we had to talk. As soon as I heard that we needed to “talk” I knew it was bad. Tears slipping out of my eyes I sat down. Dad said he went to the doctor and that he was diagnosed with ALS. But you may be asking how did her life changed with that well I have to help my dad every day with whatever he needs. I sometimes help my mom with his feedings. We all change in our teen life but my life went from kid to adult in 5 days.
I have talked about his history, how his life changed and how my life changed. Als is a awful disease and the worst birthday present in the whole world. So don’t judge people on how they look, judge them on their personality.