The Last Time | Teen Ink

The Last Time

By jellypie BRONZE, Davisburg, Michigan
jellypie BRONZE, Davisburg, Michigan

"I want to be remembered for who I am, not what I do."

The strong wind tangles my hair, the smell taking over my nose. The striped reigns bounce as if I was on a pogo-stick as we gallop down the narrow path toward the meadow. Unwillingly, I think of how my horse will be gone soon and he will have a different rider posting in this saddle. I love how we race through the woods, not stopping. No matter how hard I try, I can’t help but think about how he will have a new life and a new home. Just enjoy the time you have with him, I think, as I guide him high over a river with a swift jump. The thorny branches slap my face and tell me to turn back and give up. But I push on because riding helps me forget everything but my favorite horse. We go on a little longer, getting slower, breathing harder. The thumping stops. I slide off his back and sit on the grass. I am exhausted.

“Come on, Doc.” I whisper as he eats grass. “I want to go once more before you leave forever.”

Gently, I rub his ears and pull myself to my feet. As I slide back into the worn-down saddle, my heart shatters. I can’t hold back the tears. “Just one more time.”

This piece was inspired by the best horse in the world, Doc. This event was a very emotional and personal time in my life. My favorite horse was getting shipped to Seattle. Nobody wants to lose the things they love. But memories never let us lose sight of the things that are imortant to us.

on Jun. 5 2010 at 4:54 pm
EquineWriter BRONZE, Mullica Hill, New Jersey
This is such a moving article/story. Your words let me picture such a moment, and it flows quite nicely.

on Jun. 3 2010 at 4:20 pm
Martha Hunsucker BRONZE, Gahanna, Ohio
You spelled "reins" incorrectly.