Invincibility | Teen Ink

Invincibility

May 21, 2010
By Renae20 BRONZE, Mt. Orab, Ohio
Renae20 BRONZE, Mt. Orab, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

There comes a time when every one in life thinks they can do pretty much what ever and will never get hurt. That time in life begins when every teenager turns 16. Getting your license is the most exciting thing when you’re that age. Turning 16 normally means a new car, a license, and getting away from parental control. That moment started for me June 3, 2009. I felt like I was on top of the world. Never even thought about safety. I felt like I was invincible. The only time I have ever seen a wreck bad enough to hurt someone was on television shows or movies, so I never thought anything bad could happen to me or my friends.

The mind of many “invincible” teenagers was changed on January 30, 2010. The night of Brown high school’s homecoming. Everyone was so excited no one thought their lives would be changed that night. At 7:45, in the second quarter of the Varsity homecoming game I was called aside by the cheerleading coach, Jenifer T. She said “ I heard in the hall that Zach C. and Ricky M. have been in a very bad car accident.“ The only thing that was going through my mind was no, that can not be true, it is impossible.

Jenifer’s husband is a State Highway Patrol man and he called to find out. Next thing I hear is Zach’s dead!….. I did not know exactly what to think. Then I hear “Ricky lost his legs.” I lost it. My head was spinning in circles. I could not believe my ears. This kind of stuff was not supposed to happen to my friends. This stuff only happens on movies.

Zach C. turned 16 years old, May 24 2009. Trish, Zach’s mom had promised him around Christmas that she would get him a new car when she had the money. Trish got her income tax Thursday, January 28. She stuck to her promise and got Zach a new car. Zach and Ricky went to the mall to get applications that Saturday. On the way home Zach wanted to go show off his new car to his uncle. They did not make it that far. The Boys thought they were invincible and could do anything and would not get hurt. On the way to his uncle’s on 727 in Bethel, Ohio They decided they wanted to hill hop. Which means go really fast so the car hops the hills. Things did not go the way they planned. At 4:30, Zach going 80 miles per hour or more went to hop the hill but going over the hill the car flipped on it’s side and hit a cement bridge-abutment. Both of the boys went air borne even though they had seat belts on. The EMT got to the scene and had pulled Zach out from under the front of the car to find that he had no pulse. Zach was dead.

Ricky on the other hand was not. Ricky’s foot had been cut off and hand had been broke. The Police think he went to block him self with his hand and leg. Ricky was air cared to The University Hospital. Ricky’s legs had to be cut off because of how much blood he was losing. The doctors told us he was going to be alright but he would be paralyzed. I woke up on January 31, to a message saying they were only giving Ricky a few more hours to live because the blood was rushing to his brain, causing his brain to swell. Ricky lived until 4:20 am February 1, 2010.

Everyone found out that day at school. Nothing was the same. Everyone was so quiet and was not sure what to think. We just lost two great guys in the worst accident we have ever hear of.

At 9:30 in Marketing class, the teacher pulled up a picture of the accident. He zoomed in and you could see Zach’s body laying in front of the car. That is the worst thing I have ever seen. This wreck has opened a lot of teenagers eyes and made them realize we are not Invincible.

The layout of Zach C. was February 2, 2010. I thought I could be strong for him. He would not want everyone to be so upset but as soon as I walked in the church doors I could not help but start to cry. Seeing a good friend laying in a casket is like a nightmare. With all the make up they had on him he looked so fake. His face and hands were so swollen.

He was in a Bengals football jersey because that was his favorite team and we knew not to put him in a tux because he would not have wanted that. I have known Zach since we were little. He played football an I cheered. He was a great guy. He was always laughing and never had a problem with anyone. A year before Zach died, he was at Bible Baptist church waiting for his mom to come get him. Joey, The youth director was waiting with Zach and asked him if he was saved. Zach said no, so Joey asked him more about God and if he wanted to be saved and go to heaven. Zach said yes and that night Zach was saved. God had reserved him a spot in Heaven. Zach went to every church function after that. Thanks to Zach him getting saved has caused all of his friends to want to get saved. The night of his funeral, over 100 teenagers got saved.

The Layout and Funeral of Ricky M. was February 5, 2010. I did not know him as well as I knew Zach but what I did know of him, he was such a great guy. I would see him in the hall laughing and talking with all of his friends. He had so many people that loved him. His girlfriend Heather was his everything. She said he always used to tell her “ I love you forever and ever after that, and that means in Heaven.” I went to see Ricky, he did not look like him at all. His face was so swollen. His glasses hardly fit him. His hands, oh my gosh, they were so smashed. He was wearing his favorite jacket. In the car accident he was wearing his favorite hat and it got blood on it so they went and bought him another one, same one but they put his number on it and they had it with him in his casket. After the Funeral Ricky was not going to be buried like Zach was , he was going to be cremated. As I was walking out of the funeral, I saw Heather standing next to Ricky alone, holding his hands. I walked up to stand with her. She said she bought him the jacket he was wearing and had a big smile when she said it. She was being so strong. I know he was proud of her. She said she wanted to kiss him so bad. Heather loved him and I know he loved her. That would be the hardest thing, losing the one you love. I can not even imagine how she felt. Having someone walk with you to every class, holding our books one minute, then they just disappear the next.

I feel so lost and confused with out Zach and Ricky. I used to question why God would take them from us. I think I Know why he did it though. He wanted to open all of the teenagers eyes, that we are not invincible. Losing those two boys has made a lot of teenagers think and realize we could die anytime. The only questions that run through my head now is, what were the boys thinking before the accident, what were they thinking while the car was flipping, was Ricky conscious through the whole wreck, did he feel anything, and did Zach die instantly or did he feel the pain he was going through? These are the questions that I will never have the answers to because these two great boys are dead and have gone to heaven. I can not think, eat, or sleep half the time. When I fall asleep I have dreams about the accident and why was it them and not me. In the dreams I am in the accident and I feel everything that they felt. Sometimes I just wish that they did not have to go through all that and we could take it back. It is the hardest thing in the world to go through losing two great friends in the same week.

I hope many teenagers learn from the car accident of January 30,2010. These boys went through a lot and now a lot of people are suffering from it. They were great guys. They are in a much better place than we are and we will see them one day but lets hope we do not get there the same way they did.

Zach,
You were a great guy, friend, brother, person. I wish you did not have to go through what you went through. I know you would want us to all be strong and hold are heads up but it is the hardest thing ever. I know your in Heaven. Your probably playing football 27/7:) You were so good at it. I just wish you could have stayed longer with us. You are probably a lot happier there though. We all love you Zach! Thank you for being such a great friend! We will all meet you up there soon.








Love, Miranda S.



Ricky,
You are missed dearly. Heather is trying to be so strong for you but some days it is impossible for her to do. All your friends are protecting her for you. You are probably having a great time in Heaven. You can catch all the fish and deer you want there. I just want you two to come back. I wish the accident never happened. It gives me nightmares. I hear that it is going to get easier but it does not feel like it. It feels like everything is impossible now. I am trying to be strong but it is harder than anything. You guys were such great people. You never had conflict with any one. I will see you again one day.









Love, Miranda S.


I really hope that this accident and the death of two really great guys will open a lot of people’s eyes. I do not want to have to go to any more funerals. It is the hardest thing being a teenager and losing two friends that are the same age as you. So please be safe, do not drive like you are invincible because let me tell you, Your not. The only time you are invincible is after you die and your in Heaven. Do not ever underestimate a car. They can do more than what you think.

Zach and Ricky would want to see all of his friends in Heaven with them when they die. In order to do that you have to be saved.
You need to know you are a sinner, in Romans 3:23 it says, “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”
You need to know that Christ died for your sins, in 1st Corinthians 15:3-4 it says, “that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”
Then you must receive the Lord Jesus Christ as your Savior, In Romans 10:9 it says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.” In Romans 6:23 it says, “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life though Jesus Christ our Lord.” In Acts 4:12 “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under Heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.”
I was Saved when I was 7 years old. I know I have a spot reserved in Heaven and I know Ricky and Zach would not want to see their friends in Hell. In Revelation 20:15 it says “and whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”

This wreck has brought me closer with God. I want to go be with Zach and Ricky in Heaven. I also do not want to lose any more friends. I talked to every person I have had conflict with and asked them to forgive me. I do not want any one to leave this earth with out them knowing I was sorry and I do not want any one leaving this world not knowing I cared.


R.I.P Ricky M. and Zach C.


I hope this will all make you realize there is


no such thing of INVINCIBILITY!


The author's comments:
I needed to let my feelings out. I was so upset about the boys passing away i decided since i couldnt talk to them i would just write it all down.