Mud stomp

It rained in torrents.

The best kind of rain.

The best kind of rain for dancing.

I took my iPod and head phones out with me, slightly afraid of electrocution, but not enough to turn me from my mission. My bare feet loved the squishy mud and clear water. If I was going to dance on the wet dirt, I might as well do it unshod.

My iPod was on shuffle, it took me awhile to find a song with a good beat. When I did, there was nothing to stop me from stomping, leaping, and twirling in delight. I was on fire, and the rain cooled me off.

In only felt a little self-conscious, but not enough to make a difference. I delighted in my rain dance, why have I never tried before? Why has it never occurred to me to dance as the heavens poured out life to my Earth? I suppose it's because I never had a very transportable form of music before, one can't just lug a boom box or a radio into the pouring water.

Right as I began to surf shuffle again, my iPod died, and my private party came to an end. But that was okay, the rain had stopped, I was ready to go in.

Aderes18 said...

I love dancing in the rain!! Your piece captures it perfectly! Wonderful, great job! 

This reminds me of a long conversation that me and my bestie had about dancing in the rain

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Very cool, and thanks :)

Aderes18 replied...
I sent it to my friend. She really likes it. :) 

IamtheshyStargirl replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 11:14 am
That's  awesome! :D You really think that much of it to send it to your friend? I don't know why, but that's probably the best praise or compliment I could get or have gotten :D

Aderes18 replied...
Oh, don't mention it. It was nothing. :) 

TheGoldenDomination said...

This is really good, i could actually picture this happening as i read it.

i myself have run down the streets in the rain, and it is very fun and soul-lifting. In my experience anyways..

IamtheStargirl replied...

It  fun, I had such a good time during my rain dance.

I still love jumping in puddles, though canvas shoes often make it an especially wet experience for me nowadays.

I am so glad it is descriptive, that has been one of my weaknesses for such a long time. Thank you for the comment :)

Lilihua This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
A nice "in-the-moment" kind of thing ... a really cool blend of taking delight in life and nature and also modern technology!

IamtheStargirl replied...

Thanks, I like your description of it :)