Patience! | Teen Ink

Patience!

By sofisu9 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
sofisu9 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Patience. It is one of the most important gifts one could have. It is one of the strongest words in this world. Patience. It could be the reason why my life has taken the wrong path.
During my life, I have learned to not sweat the small stuff. I have tried, but still struggle in learning how to live day by day, one by one. You never know what is coming next, but you shouldn’t worry about it. You should deal with what is in front of you and learn to appreciate it, even if it is not a nice experience, because when you look back, you will wish that that moment had lasted longer.
The lack of patience has affected my relationship with my brother each day, as I see us growing apart. I was never tolerant towards my brother, and that caused me to miss many good times that marked his and my family’s life. Now that I look back, I realize that if I had been patient enough, then maybe my brother and I would have been closer as a family. For instance, I remember being small, around six or seven years old. Every day I would fight with my brother, whether it was for something unreasonable or whether it included punching and pinching. I remember my mom calling us “dogs and cats”. Until this day, we still have our discussions over something that is really not that important, and today, we still hear our parents’ speeches about why we are not supposed to fight. Now that I have grown older, and matured, I have realized that with all of this fighting, I have missed many years with him, years that through out my life I will miss. I see him growing older and I miss him more, even if he is right next to me. I have tried to fix this, but he regrets my actions of forgiveness. I don’t think he understands yet, but I work hard for him to. Therefore, I believe I should live my life to the fullest and stop caring about small things that don’t really matter. If I had been patient, then maybe I wouldn’t have missed so many memorable moments with my family. That’s why, from now on, I will live my life day by day, one by one, tolerating any bad experiences, so that when I look back, Ill know I didn’t miss anything.
My lack of tolerance not only brings me problems with my family, but with my friends, and the problems I have to face are harder to deal with. If someone asked me what would be the only thing I could change about me I would say my lack of patience. This problem brings me conflicts everywhere I look. I have now tried to control my anger, and try to not get mad at something so easily. It is hard to accomplish so, I struggle, but I keep on trying because I learned how important it is.
You could say I learned this the hard way, but now I know how important it is to live my live to the fullest, and to do so, I first need to learn how to be patient. I need to be able to live day by day with out thinking about what it is that is coming next. I need to be able to deal with what is in front of me in a tolerable way, with out exceeding my anger, and controlling it. Once I’m able to do this, I know I will live every single minute of my life, and I know I will not miss anything, because I enjoyed it and lived it to the fullest. When I look back, I will not regret the fact of not being there. I will remember that moment, and laugh to myself, because even if it was a bad experience, I will know that I enjoyed having to deal with a new challenge. A challenge that might teach me something in the future, but from now and on, I will live with what is in front of me.
Once you realize all the good moments you have missed, you will learn how important it is to take each day like if it was your last one, to live your life to the fullest, and to not think about the future, but about today. In order to accomplish this, you will first need to learn how to be tolerant towards others and towards your problems. Looking back at all the good times I could have had with my brother, and not accomplishing them made me realize that I shouldn’t sweat the small stuff, and that I should pay attention to what’s in front of me, and not in the future, but for this, I first need to learn how to be patient.