A Storm to Remember | Teen Ink

A Storm to Remember

May 10, 2010
By David Garcia BRONZE, Menifee, California
David Garcia BRONZE, Menifee, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Drip, drip, drip. That was the sound of water hitting the ground and forming puddles.
“Another storm,” I sighed as it was already pouring outside. Unfortunately, I had nothing to do but play video games or watch T.V. don’t get me wrong, I love those things, but it just gets boring after a few hours.
Well, at least it wasn’t a major storm, but I wish it would stop. I remember when I was younger, like five or six, when I experienced a terrible storm; it even gives me shivers now to think of it. It all started in the summer of 2002. My brothers and I were playing outside in our pool because it was scorching hot that day. A little later that day, I noticed it started getting dark, but it wasn’t getting late.
“Hmm,” I wondered. “Clouds? Where are they coming from?”
“I don’t know,” answered my older brother. We all shrugged and ignored it until it started to rain. The strange part is that the rain was warm, but we thought it was that way because it was so hot. Eventually, the winds picked up and that was when I knew it was time to go back inside.
“Come on,” I ordered, “let’s go inside!” It was too late. We were caught up in the storm and had no choice but to make a run for it back to our house. In the distance, I could see my mom coming outside.
“Come on, guys!” I could hear my mom hollering. I didn’t notice, but my brothers had already jumped out of the pool and were going to the house.
“Wait for me!” I called out. I ran to catch up with my brothers. As I came up to the house, my mom was waiting on me and was gesturing for me to come inside.
“Come on, let’s go!” yelled my mom. Thankfully, I made it inside the house. I remember seeing my brothers watching T.V. as it nothing had happened. I quickly joined them. A few moments later, I got up out of curiosity of the storm and walked toward the glass window. I pressed my face against the cold glass and that was when I noticed our dog was outside.
“Hey!” I shouted calling my mom. “Isn’t that Summer, our dog?!”
“Don’t worry,” my mom tried to stay calm, “she’ll find her way to the garage.”
“Ok.” I stood watching, still a little bit worried. After a while I went back to watch T.V., the storm cleared up and the bright sun peered through the parted clouds.
“Look,” I shouted. “The sun’s out.”
I went outside to check if the storm finally passed. Just as I went outside it became fully sunny with no clouds in sight. I was the first to step outside and I felt the warm sun hit the side of my face. Ever since that storm I have been a little bit afraid of them and also realized that sticking with your family is the best thing to do during a time of crisis.