The Green Car | Teen Ink

The Green Car

By Samantha V BRONZE, Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Samantha V BRONZE, Glen Ellyn, Illinois

I gasped and sprinted into the store.
“Mom! Mom!” I yelled. I couldn’t get the words out fast enough. I was talking without any gaps as I was telling my mom and the sales lady at GAP what had happened. But let’s start from the beginning.
I stepped up to the front desk at Borders. I handed her my book that only took me 5 minutes to find, because I knew exactly what I was looking for when I went in. She took it from my hand and scanned it.
“Do you have a membership card?” asked the dull lady.
“Yeah.” I replied.
“Phone number?” wondered the lady.
I gave her my grandma’s number because that’s the number that the card is under, since my grandma is always the one to buy me books. Once I handed her the money, and she gave me my book back with the receipt, I said “Thank you” and walked out of the store. I walked outside and noticed how dark it was. Since I was little haven’t liked being alone in the dark outside. I was a little nervous at first, but I decided to just keep going because I knew my next destination wasn’t very far away. I turned the corner to walk towards GAP because that’s where my mom was. As I was walking I became more and more creeped out. Mostly because I was all alone with no one else around.
As I was walking along the sidewalk, I glanced over to my right and spotted a dark green car driving beside me. When I looked back at the car the man looked straight and continued driving. “Okay,” I thought to myself, “just keep walking”. So I ignored the car and kept going. But, out of the corner of my eye I saw the car slow down, almost to a stop, and the man was staring at me. I turned my head to look, but then the man started driving forward. I decided to ignore this for another time. But once again, the creepy man slowed down his car and turned to look at me.
“Oh my god.” I accidently announced out loud. I was cold and shaking. I wasn’t sure if I was shivering because of the temperature or just because I was scared. Either way I wasn’t just going to stand there. I quickly looked around to see where GAP was. There it was, across the street to my right. I sprinted to the end of the sidewalk, turned to my right, and ran across the street towards GAP. I looked back to see if the car was still there. It wasn’t. It was driving away. All I saw was the back of that little green car driving off into the cold dark night. He was gone.
“Mom! Mom!” I screamed, “There was this guy and he was driving right next to me, and when I looked over at him he would keep going, and then I would look straight again, and he would slow down right next to me!” I gasped for air. After a few seconds of calming down I realized not only was I telling this story to my mom but also the cashier at GAP. “Oh, hi,” I said, slightly embarrassed to the tired looking lady.
“Is he still there?” questioned my mom with a concerned look on her face.
“No. He drove off.” I answered back.
“Okay. Let me just finish buying this and then we can go. Are you okay?” She still seemed concerned.
“Yes. I’m fine now. But please next time can you come into the store with me? So I don’t have to walk alone in the dark and experience something like this again!” I stated dramatically and with attitude.