Memorable Day | Teen Ink

Memorable Day

By Stosoaf BRONZE, Clayton, Wisconsin
Stosoaf BRONZE, Clayton, Wisconsin

"Anytime you win... It's going to be close to your heart"

There was a small breeze that made the leaves dance. The early fall morning was brisk, but it was the perfect day to go watch the Green Bay Packers play the New England Patriots.

The game started at four o’clock, so my dad and I decided to leave at around ten. That way we would have time to eat and do a little touring. It was a long drive, but it went by quickly. We finally arrived in Green Bay. The first thing that I saw was Lambeau Field. It was amazing to believe that in a couple hours I would be screaming my head off at a Packer game. My dad and I wanted something to eat, so we went to a restaurant called Stadium View. Its name is not the least bit deceiving. We really enjoyed the food and the view of the stadium. After we went to Brett Favre’s Steak House, everywhere I looked there was a picture of Brett or a jersey signed by him.

Once we left Brett Favre’s Steak House my dad suggested that we should start walking over to the stadium. The second I stepped into the parking lot, the mouth-watering smell of cooking meat hit my nose. The smell of cheese curds also lingered in the air.

When we entered the stadium, the players were down on the field warming up without their pads. The stadium was about half full. Once I saw the inside of the stadium I was in awe. The atmosphere that Lambeau Field had was just amazing. Most players that play at this field say that it’s one of the greatest experiences to play in. There was a large ring that went around the inside of the stadium that had jersey numbers that were retired. Some of the names were Bart Starr, Jim Taylor, and Johnny “Blood” McNally, who was originally from New Richmond, Wisconsin. I never would have guessed that a person from this part of the state would have made it in the pros.

The clock was ticking closer and closer every second to game time. Finally it was time for the starters to be announced. By this time the stadium was almost full. Then Brett Favre was announced and the entire stadium thundered with cheering. The rest of the Packers starting offense were announced, and we knew it was game time.

It was time for kickoff; Green Bay would be getting the ball first. The Packers were playing the Super Bowl champions, the New England Patriots. The first play of the game Brett took a five-step drop and aired it out to Green Bay’s all-star wide receiver Donald Driver. He caught it and was tackled immediately by a New England defensive back; Driver was down at the twenty-five yard line. It was a fifty-yard bomb; the Packers were able to punch the ball in for a touchdown. Although the crowd was roaring, none of them knew that it was going to be Green Bay’s first and only touchdown of the game. New England dominated the rest of the football game. The Packers defense just wasn’t strong enough to stop the high-powered New England offense. Although Green Bay couldn’t score again, being able to watch Brett go for the big play right away was the best part.

The game consisted of bone-crunching hits and long passes. Green Bay tried to put together at least one more scoring drive, but they just could not score a touchdown. The Patriots scored on their next drive which put the Packers down 28-7. My dad and I both knew that there was no possible way that they could come back. So we decided to leave before the end of the game. We didn’t expect the Packers to win, but we also didn’t expect a blow out.
We listened to the end of the game on the radio as we were driving home. It wasn’t much fun for the Packers to lose, but just being there and watching Brett Favre will be one of my favorite memories.