Strangers This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I had a dream the other night. I dreamt of the future. I was about to graduate high school, soon to embark on the adventure known as college. I was happy to leave small-town U.S.A.

Since it was the future, you must have already gone off to college. We were strangers. I didn't recognize you when I saw you at my dream graduation. But there you were.

We were strangers.

You were with your family, and I was with mine. My friends were loud with impatience, ready to bolt, ready to leave high school behind. Diplomas were handed out. Caps were thrown. You smiled and disappeared.

We were strangers.

Cheesecake. We all had cheesecake at my dream graduation party. It was at the park, and I was swinging by myself. Suddenly, you were there swinging next to me, smiling.

“Hey, stranger. Long time no see.”

In my dream, we talked easily. In my dream, you laughed with me. In my dream, you reminded me I owed you a rematch in Connect 4.

And in my dream, you asked me that question.

“If you could go back and change one thing from high school, what would it be?”

I stopped swinging and stood up. You stood next to me, looking into my eyes. Because it was a dream, magically, I grew tall enough to return your gaze.

“If I could change one thing …” I leaned closer, watching the sunlight dance in your beautiful eyes. Then, I kissed you. “I would go back and do that sooner.”

We were no longer strangers.

But then I woke up. I went to school. You walked right past me. And we were strangers once more.

Passion4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I love your writing! I relate to this waaay too much. Ahh! Love sucks when you don't know what to say. :P the article was so well written and really pinpointed emotions, illustrating it perfectly for the reader. Thank you so much for writing this. You put into words what i was never able to! :)

Eilleen said...
I like this peice... isn;t it funny how in dreams things come so easily

Emerald said...
you did a good job describing your dream

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I love the story and picture. That was such a sweet story and I loved what you chose as the answer to the question of what would you change if you could go back to high school. Too bad it was only a dream. Great Job. Will you please read,comment and rate my articles? Thanks.

Esther V. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

this is suchhh a nice piece!

i really like how you give little details like the cheesecake and connect 4, as well as the overall simplicity :)