My Dreams | Teen Ink

My Dreams

By Kaztap24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
Kaztap24 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

“Cody… it’s seven in the morning and people are sleeping… so STOP SINGING!” In my house, this phrase was no stranger—as I stepped out of the shower belting, “My Heart Will Go On” from Titanic. These childhood moments help and drive me to pursue my goals.

In the beginning of my high school years, I realized my career in …Titanic may not be as magical as I thought. My true passion and love has always resided in opera. The ability for a single voice to cut through an entire symphony amazes me and I know one day, with the help of many along the way, I will be there.

The highest goal I have set is to sing at the Metropolitan Opera House. Hundreds of hours spent studying my vocal technique has accompanied me through the last four years of high school. My passion has grown along with my voice and love for opera.

The idea first popped in my head when I was preparing for an audition based group at my high school. It was a week until auditions and I was nervous…too nervous. My mom and I went to the school, interested in looking at the theatre. School was out and the entire theatre was black, expect for the lights on stage. I apprehensively walked to the center and started to sing. I was inundated with adrenaline, happiness, and excitement as a tear rolled down my cheek. I then knew music was my calling and I needed it in my life.

If I was forced to sing Titanic for the rest of my life because the Metropolitan Opera rejected me, I would do it with a smile on my face. I would be overjoyed to do something I love and get paid for it, as well. A career in music is risky… but I’m willing to take that risk and continue to grow to achieve my goal.