Masked Superhero | Teen Ink

Masked Superhero

By Iryna Ivasyk BRONZE, San Diego, California
Iryna Ivasyk BRONZE, San Diego, California

When you are young, everything seems much more exciting than it really is for an unknown reason, and you are later on completely dissatisfied when you realize that you didn’t fully fathom the situation. When you find out that your aunt is a cat lady, you can’t wait to meet someone similar to Batman. When you finally confront her, however, a huge disappointment rushes over you because you imagined a cat lady to look unique while the woman standing in front of you looks nothing but ordinary. When you find a penny on the ground, you feel like a pirate who has just discovered a small portion of a buried treasure, only to be deeply let down after hours and hours of frantic searching as you fail to find the foreseen fortune that awaited you. When you begin your educational experience, you become impatient to go to school and play with your new friends, only to realize that school is boring and difficult and involves an infinite amount of work; it is absolutely nothing like the uninterrupted play time that you initially assumed it to be.
I recall that when I was younger, I always got unbelievably excited when I saw someone with a Bluetooth device in his or her ear. At the time, I envisioned them as superheroes disguised as ordinary strangers in an attempt to keep their identity a mystery from their nemesis, by using this covert gadget to communicate and receive the details of their secretive mission from their worthy sidekicks. I have always wanted to become just like these masked superheroes. You will find this statement to be false. It wasn’t until rather recently that my dream was brutally massacred when I realized that the people whom I strived to someday become must lead miserable lives of their own.
There is always an individual at the mall or grocery store talking into a headset, as the surrounding crowd of people proceed to figure out whether this stranger is attempting to communicate with them or with an unknown receiver on the other side of the device. I on the other hand, always am trying to figure out whether this person is simply wearing the Bluetooth in order to be able to talk to himself or herself without others questioning his or her state of mental stability. Now that I am older, I do not find their use of this device appealing anymore, but rather, I feel sympathy towards these individuals. I do not know, however, whether to feel awful for these types of people because they seem to not have a few free minutes in their day to live, or because I realized that most of them must simply be crazy and use the device to talk to themselves in a public location without revealing their instable mental state to the surrounding array of strangers. Perhaps this individual could be using this gadget in order to hide the fact that he or she is a lonely waif and to give himself or herself a feeling of companionship by pretending to be to communicate with another human. Theses observations lead me to believe that all users of headsets are more likely be crazy, lonely workaholics than masked superheroes.
There is no doubt that you have at one point in your life had a strong desire to be one of these people just to others’ reactions while they attempt to apprehend whether you are addressing them. Maybe someday, I will too engage in such an act, or possibly even use the devise as an excuse to talk to myself. Maybe someday I will finally give into using headset just to fulfill my childhood dream of becoming a disguised hero. Could some of the “bystanders” who use headsets be well masked superheroes after all? I like to believe so.

I was inspired to compose this non fictional narrative after leaning back and observing people and their everyday hobbies.