Five Beautiful Words | Teen Ink

Five Beautiful Words

By ImpliedComlications SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
ImpliedComlications SILVER, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

They are the only ones that speak to me. I am the only one who crys with them. Five beautiful words that say nothing and mean everything. Five that mend what has been broken. Five foreign syllables that tear into my emotions. All around me they echo, but nobody else seems to hear them.
Their power is soothing. They send their gentle message into the soul. Their meaning grabs at shards of a broken spirit and begin to pull the pieces together again. This is how they heal.
Let one word go missing, they’d lose the hope and light that they offered and all that remains is a whisper. Whisper, whisper, whisper they say as the tears roll down my cheeks. They care.
When I am too broken to get up again, when I am too battered and bruised to heal, then I hear the words. When everything falls and turns to rubble around me. Five who broke through the soundless darkness. Five who embrace what seemed to go numb. Five whose only reason is to stitch up a life riddled with holes.

This piece was inspired by a song that got me through a very rough patch in my life. The writer and performer of this song is a huge role model of mine, so this piece is a small thank you to him.