The Star I'm Shooting For | Teen Ink

The Star I'm Shooting For

March 28, 2010
By Invaild_Kt BRONZE, Wattsburg, Pennsylvania
Invaild_Kt BRONZE, Wattsburg, Pennsylvania
3 articles 1 photo 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
Theres Jello Rocks My Socks, but Pudding does it Better...... I Love you!


Today was the day, I couldn’t feel it or anything, it just sort of happened. I got out of the passenger seat. The wind was wicked, making my hair fly every where, but I didn’t push it away. It made me feel powerful, and whole. I opened the door and climbed in. My whole body was pumping, like I had electricity shooting through my veins. My hands were pulsing, my feet were pulsing, my brain, heck my whole body was pulsing.

This wasn’t my first time, there had been other times. However today was different. Today my mom put the trust in me to get us there on time. I had gotten my permit last month, and here I was getting behind the wheel.

I was scared, which may have been the reason for the pulsing body. I, however was more excited then scared. I buckled my seat belt as fast as I could, not wanting to disappoint. Scooted up the seat so I could reach the peddles. And waited, for the other cars to pass.

I am a good driver, no wait stop. I want to be a good driver, the kind who is ever so careful and never gets a ticket. However does not drive like a granny and everyone hates to ride with. The problem is, is that I am an awful driver. I don’t stay in the lanes to well, I’m scared of the cars coming at me. I go to fast, then I go to slow. Others ride on my bumper, and then my mom gets angry. Way angry, she says I scare her, with my horrid driving.

Today, however I thought today would be different… It wasn’t, I was just as awful. I started out bad, I waited to long and swung into the lane way to fast, or slow depending on the moment. I drove way to slow down the road, and when I would speed up, I was going over the limit. My mom yelled, she cursed, she grabbed on to that little handle above the door.

I went one way, and then another, least to say I almost hit another car. I’m just not a good driver at all. I don’t know if I ever will be, but that is yet to be seen. We got to the store, surprisingly in one piece. My mom jumped out, “That’s it, I’m driving home!” she said and pulled the keys. Like I was going to go any where.

I slowly took off my seat belt, then got out of the car. I stood there a second or two in the rain. Just letting it pour down on my dry head. Then I walked around to the other side. And got back into the passenger seat. I looked at the seat that I had just left and then looked at the road. It was then and there I swore that I would learn to drive. I swore that I would be good at it, and impress everyone. My mom got back into the car. “Now I am going to tell you everything you did wrong.” She said starting the car. “Ok.” I said those two simple words, thus declaring that I would listen and pay attention to everything she had to say. So in six months, I would be the best driver the instructor had ever, and will ever see…. At least that is the star I’m shooting for.


The author's comments:
This is what I was feeling, as I drove one day.