TURNING POINTS | Teen Ink

TURNING POINTS

By yemen123 BRONZE, Dearborn, Michigan
yemen123 BRONZE, Dearborn, Michigan

It was the night before my first day of high school. I lay in bed with butterflies in my stomach not knowing what to expect as I was only 10 hours away from the most significant transition of my teenage life. As I woke from that sleepless night my heart was racing in anticipation of what was to proceed that morning. Thoughts concerning how I would be perceived among an unfamiliar student body crossed my mind. However, as I would later find, my preconceived notions of what high school would be like did not hold true.
As I made my way through the crowded hallways I was amazed by the size of the school and how easy it was for a person to get lost. Continuing my way through the hallways to my homeroom I was astonished by the size of the senior students. I felt as if I was a mouse in a field of lions. Roaming through the hallways I found myself lost and in panic I was fortunate that there was a teacher to guide me to my class. Entering the class I was very nervous, roving my eyes to the new faces in class. I happened to recognize one person who I had become acquainted with in middle school. This brought me a great deal of relief. I quickly realized how essential a friend is in a school environment. As the class came to an end, we both realized that we have the same 1st hour class; we proceeded to our class with no trouble at all. When we entered the class thoughts began to wander through my head about the expectations of a teacher at a high school level and how a student of my caliber would be able to respond.
Within the first ten minutes of class the teacher began to go over the expectations and classroom rules. It quickly hit me that I was going to have to mature and lose my middle school mentality in order for me to become a successful and productive student. I knew that this essential maturity turning point in my life was going to come over time, and that I would have to put forth the time and dedication to accomplish a life turning issue. I learned that I had to become more responsible and to take my work more seriously because high school was my crossroad to collage and a future job opportunity. Most importantly I learned a lesson on the importance of education in a person’s life.
As the day went on I began to meet and familiarize myself with new and diverse students. I figured the more students I got to know the easier it would be to fit in with the majority of the student body. But I also knew that there were students who I was better off not associating myself with who could influence me in a negative way. One of the most important lessons that I learned during my first year in high school was that you become who you hang out and surround yourself with; hence it is important to always hang out with a positive group of students who are encouraging and helpful to you and will always lead you in the right direction. This will hopefully carry on with me for the rest of my life.
The transition from middle school to high school was a very big stage in my life I learned many things that helped me develop as a person. My maturity grew tremendously as the years went by. I learned a lot of life lessons that will carry on with me for the years to come. I truly believe that my introduction to high school has made me a more well rounded person and has given me the morals and traits that will enable me to have a successful future in collage.