Rock n' Roll | Teen Ink

Rock n' Roll

March 26, 2010
By Anonymous

“No you can’t always get what you want but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.” My mom would sing these lyrics when I was young, I remember thinking how she was an amazing songwriter. I heard ‘Yellow Submarine’ before I ever knew ‘Wheels on the bus’. Even now my ipod is loaded up with music my parents enjoyed. Over the years rock n’ roll has been a loyal friend.

Several years ago my aunt died, I was so devastated I didn’t know what to do. One day I stumbled on my Mom’s copy of Abbey Road, upon playing Let it be I felt comfort, the lyrics “I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be.” Helped me get over the loss, the lyrics spoke to me in a way that is unexplainable, like Paul McCartney was singing for all the lonely souls in hopes one day they would find peace. Let it Be has been my favorite song ever since.

Probably me favorite artist next to the Beatles has to be Bob Dylan. Although many people would argue he is not a very good singer, no one can match his song writing talent. Many of Dylan’ song’s are angry and bursting with emotion, yet the melody is so simple, Masters of War talks about “And I hope that you die And your death'll come soon.” Even though the lyrics sound like they belong in a death metal song, Dylan sings the lyrics with just a guitar and the fire in his voice. While listening to Dylan songs such as Masters of War, I become infuriated at the people Dylan sings about. I think life is one giant Bob Dylan song.


A band which lost it’s lead singer over 20 years ago, The Doors, are still one of the Best Bands. Jim Morrison changed the music genre forever. he sung song such as ‘Light my Fire’, ‘Riders on the Storm’ and ‘People are Strange.’ Unfortunately Morrison met the same fate as many geniuses had before him, on July 3, 1971 Jim Morrison died of a drug overdose. Watching Morrison perform as a kid I remember wanting to be just like him. Finding out how he died was the greatest letdown of my life.

Nowadays I cannot even stand most modern music. I believe music lyrics should have meaning and take the listener on a journey. From an early age 60’s and 70’s music have been ultimately one of my best friends.