Child | Teen Ink

Child

March 22, 2010
By PlainJane GOLD, Notown, Wisconsin
PlainJane GOLD, Notown, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
...understand that the heart is as vast and wide as the universe, but that we come to know love best from here, this place of gravity and stability, where our feet can still touch ground.


When I was a child, a little kid, I was not afraid of anything. I mean sure, the occasional monster under the bed or in the closet thing, but when I was a child, I wasn’t afraid of embarrassment or lack of confidence or atychiphobia, the fear of failure. Yes, I learned that word, atychiphobia, because it applies to me. I’m an atychiphobiac. Sure, when I was a child, I wasn’t; but, it’s like as you grow older, you develop insecurities. You make mistakes and are afraid that they will happen again. Doesn’t everyone just wish that they could live in sweet oblivion? Just ignore what’s around you: ignore the wars, the chaos in the world? When I was a child, I was “happy”. I loved my life. I thought nothing could go wrong. My happiest moments in life happened during my childhood. Either because of having a newborn baby sister [which I now regret, just kidding ;)] or making my first friend or starting school. I was “happy” or in other words, oblivious.
Now, as a teenage girl, I worry about my future. I’m unsure of what career to pursue, even though I have four more years. I am afraid of disgracing my family, of not being what they dreamed I would be. I’m faced with sexism from my culture. I dream about a world where we will all live happily, a place of peace, a utopia of sorts. It may be boring when you think about it. Everyone all so happy. But then again, which would you choose. A place of peace and happiness and oblivion, but where would the excitement, the passion, be? When would the dangerous, adrenaline rush come? What about a place with excitement, passion? What if people got carried away, wanting more excitement, wanting more of a rush? What would happen?
I think that the best way to live our lives is to just live it day by day. To not worry about the small things. To enjoy ourselves sometimes. To be a kid and have fun. To just take leaps of faith. To be spontaneous! To live your life the way you want to and love yourself and your decisions! Love is what we need. Love is what a child feels all around them. Not oblivion. Love. Love from their parents, their friends, the people in their lives, their selves! LOVE!!!


The author's comments:
Wrote it in a spark of thinking. Once I started writing, I just kept writing till I thought it seemed finished.